• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practicing Ura Mawashi Geri

ShotokanKid

Good explanation. Sorry I didn't get the video. I pulled a muscle in my back again so I have been able to kick well the last few days.

Not a problem... hope you get better soon and if you do film a video, please give me the link.

Thanks.

Thanks will do.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you get comfortable with the motion and want to add more power to the technique (variation), try sychronizing the snap of the foot with your hip rotation. Kind of like your missing with a front kick then turning it all over with your hip to pull your heel into the back of your opponent. Just a suggestion.

*this makes it lower and more close range. I like to use this style of kick against people who like to fight very sideways and aim for the spot between their shoulderblades. But this kick is extremely versitile in its application, so don't limit yourself to one specific variation of the kick.*

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

The kick works very well if executed properly. Here is a pic of me doing the kick during full speed sparing. In this instance, I threw a low line punch the draw the hands down and open up the target. Just so happened it worked.

http://users.esc.net.au/~aacd/images/photos/shawn_high_kick.jpg

When doing the kick point the knee past the target so then the leg can be brought back. Don't over do it though. It does take a bit of practise. As you can see from the pic, rotate the supporting foot to allow better push from the hips and to prevent injury to the knee from sideways deflection.

Lean over slightly to counteract the weight of the kick (although in this pic, I have probably leaned over a bit too far). This kick also works well for the back of thighs/knees and also for kidneys when in front of them.

If you want to do damage, or in particular are kicking to a small area, pull the foot back towards you and kick with the heel. If you want to be nice, point the toes (as in the pic) and kick with the flat of the foot.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

One way to practice hook kicks that my TKD instructor has taught me is to try drawing big circles in the air with your leg.

Stand on one leg, bring the other up into the chamber position (we use a turn on the supporting foot, leg brought sideways across the chest kinda position) and do a hook kick.

Now keep your foot/lower leg circling around - as if you've gote through the target and are returning back to the start. Keep drawing circles in the air with your leg (a minute at a time is good) then return to the chamber position.

it's a good exercise to help with balance and co-ordination, as well as working on getting the "feel" of a kick. It can also help with practicing the chamber position as you have to return to a proper position (whatever that is for your club) before putting your leg down.

At karate we have a hook kick drill that we do with the pads, moving up and down the dojo.

The pad (focus mitt) is held low at first and gradually becomes higher and higher until it is at the highest a person can kick at.

The kicker has to work their way across the dojo, moving forwards using hook kicks. Alternate legs, right then left, with the height of the kick increasing every time.

The pad holder is moving back all the time - once you get used to the drill then the pad holder moves back quicker and the kicker has to sort of "chase" them to find the target.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!