• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BOARD BREAKING

My black belt test is in two days, and i've been practicing breaking two boards on top of eachother (chop), coming down, in a downward cut with my arm, ive tried it so many times, i just cant break it, ive broken 3 boards before, but i dont know what is causing this? any tips or comments?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My black belt test is in two days, and i've been practicing breaking two boards on top of eachother (chop), coming down, in a downward cut with my arm, ive tried it so many times, i just cant break it, ive broken 3 boards before, but i dont know what is causing this? any tips or comments?

I'm not sure what you're saying. Is it that you've done this technique with 3 boards and just can't do it now, or is the technique different. If you've done it in the past, and can't do it now, I would say that you're trying too hard. So try this. Forget about it today, relax, and visualize doing it well, and keep practicing perfect technique in your mind. Then get a final practice in and it should be a piece of cake since you've trained your mind and body to do it, and it'll be automatic.

the major thing about breaking is that it is VERY mental. If you have a doubt, any where, in your mind that you won't break it, then you wont. You need to feel one hundred percent certain that you will break it, then you break it. Since you have been unsuccessful lately you are placing a doubt in your mind and that is creating a barrier that is inhibiting you from completeing your break. You are also trying hard in anticipation for your test since breaking will be a part and you are now placed into a situation where you need to break to pass, so you are stressed and in your mind you are making it difficult. You need to do what fairfax says and relax, take a break, visualize, and approach it again with a clear mind and be able to say that " i am going to break it" and you need to believe it. Then you will break it. Look back, if you have broken this in the past then you can break it now, there is nothing stopping you but yourself. So be calm, don't let emotions cloud your mind, relax and get the job done.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I agree on taking a breather and relaxing. Clear your mind and relax. Make sure the boards are placed correctly also sounds stupid but its simple things like that, that can be overlooked when stressed. Make sure there are not any knots in the wood that could be stopping the break.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

any tips but that? im really nervous about this test, and i just got the flu so it can hinder my performance, i just need a way to calm down, which is hard for me, cuz i am usually jittery in tests, especially in front of others

any tips but that? im really nervous about this test, and i just got the flu so it can hinder my performance, i just need a way to calm down, which is hard for me, cuz i am usually jittery in tests, especially in front of others

If you feel that you are not quite ready for this test, then wait. Better to put off for another couple of months, practice, and become more comfortable.