• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think that you are being too hard on yourself. Even if you had your gun, would you have been able to draw it? Did the attacker already have a gun on you? During active duty, you probably had the advantage of having your weapon(s) about you at all times.

Studying the arts is a good direction to take. If I had a gun pulled on me, however, I think that I would give up my wallet rather than risk getting killed over some pocket change.

I really think being prepared for these situations is one of the hardest things to train for, and it may only occur a few times in most of our lives. I realize that this is not true for active duty officers, but once you leave that environment, your level of awareness would surley go down.

I agree with the many that said your wife being there may have been part of the concern.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I am in Bloomington IN. Heard that

Monroe County Martial Arts is a good place to study and Mr. Scotts Is a Former Marine. (not for sure if thats true) but if it is I wll more than likely try there.

Check https://www.meetup.com

There may be a martial arts meetup group listed there. That would be free and would hook you up with martial artists from different styles.

If there isn't one listed, make one.

Also, you could use your local newspapers to list a potential meetup group in your area.

bat

Being a shodan is about learning what you DON'T know about what you know.

I think most of the people here are right on. Being a soldier myself, I know there's a difference in the mindset you have in a combat zone and what you have at home. In the combat zone you have other things going for you too. You know your team mates have your 6. In your case your wife was with you. That alone could freak anyone out. You didn't bring your gun with you. I'm sure that went through your mind. Attention to detail is what kept you alive in the mountains...It will keep you alive here too.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."