• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am a former staff sarg marine who has been deployed to afganistan were I was put in a situation were hand to and combat was required resulting in the death of 1 hostile subject. That was the last time I had to fight without a firearm(2002). 2 days ago me and my wife were walking to a soda machine down the road from our house. It was in the middle of the day and in a nice neighborhood so I decided to not bring my concaled firearm that I carry daily. someone tried to mug us and I found myself frozen and in a panic. This is not like me at all!!!!!! I was involved in a number of firefight and was credited with 9 confermed kills. It was luck that a police officer was driving by and seen everything.

What can I do to make sure I will not panic again if a hand to hand situation happens again.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It sounds like you were in what is called "the white zone". Not really paying attention to your surroundings and then was surprised by the attack. Unlike when you were in full combat you were very focused about your surroundings. I think the only thing you should do different is to have the mind set that you could be attacked anywhere at anytime. But in the same mind set, "Be aware but not on guard". Like I tell my students, don't leave the house freaked out that everybody is out to get you.

It certainly wouldn't hurt you, whether or not it got you back into the state of readiness you desire. Of course, that's just me advocating MA.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

could it also be I have just not had to fight for a while? 4 yrs is not a short period of time.

I still pratice shooting alot but finding a sparing budy is hard so should I start studing martial arts?

I agree with with others said, except for one thing. I do believe that things happen for a reason. Since the cop was there, maybe it just wasn't ment for you to go through the hassle of having to justify your defense. Maybe if you would have resisted you would have hurt or killed him, or he might have done something to you or your wife. So it just worked out well.

But, you're right, learning a new art, or starting again with one you know would be a good thing. As a Marine you know that you should always be ready, and to train, train, train. So keep with it.

In any case, welcome to the forum and good luck finding a good school. BTW, where are you stationed? I'm sure someone here can recommend a good place to train.

in my opinion, the fact that your wife was with you probably crossed your mind. and you weren't on the battlefield with you family safe at home. you have more to risk and making a mistake because you think you CAN handle it might have cost you your wife. either way, even though your a marine doesn't make you invisable. even if you train in martial arts, it doesn't give you the upper hand in a street confilct, but allows you to make a wise chioce to act or not act.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

Thank you all. I now live in Indiana and know of 2-3 good schools in my area, one with a former marine instructor. I think the one thing that bothers me is the fact I have strived myself to not be pirfect but as close to as possable, and then this happens. Its more of a pride thing I think.

i have never not been able to handle a situation. Even after we had a RPG attack and I was able to get out of the hummer and return fire. Now a street punk that weighed 50lbs less than me freaks me out. Not exceptable!!!!!!!

I understand your frustration. You have faced more than this and handled it fine and here comes this punk and he scares you out. The shock probably had more to do with it than anything else. Like others mentioned, in war you're expecting the worst and ready for it. But when you're strolling down the street with your wife in a nice neighbourhood and someone threatens you, this is probably something that never happened to you before (correct me if I'm wrong) so you don't know how to react. Now that you've faced it once I'm sure you would react differently if it happened again because now you have earned this experience.

could it also be I have just not had to fight for a while? 4 yrs is not a short period of time.

I still pratice shooting alot but finding a sparing budy is hard so should I start studing martial arts?

as was said before, you weren't expecting to be attacked. Honestly, I don't think MA training would've helped you there. Many of us go through the same thing, though few will admit it. It's hard to turn the switch on in a high stress situation. Also, your thing is guns, not hand to hand, from the sound of it. you were focused while you were on duty and you had your weapon of choice at the ready. On this day, you hand nothing and weren't expecting attack. awareness training and hard sparring are good ways to help overcome the fight or flight syndrome, but are no guarantee.

I am in indiana all the time. Which part are you in?

as was said before, you weren't expecting to be attacked. Honestly, I don't think MA training would've helped you there. Many of us go through the same thing, though few will admit it. It's hard to turn the switch on in a high stress situation. Also, your thing is guns, not hand to hand, from the sound of it. you were focused while you were on duty and you had your weapon of choice at the ready. On this day, you hand nothing and weren't expecting attack. awareness training and hard sparring are good ways to help overcome the fight or flight syndrome, but are no guarantee.

I am in indiana all the time. Which part are you in?

I agree with you knees. It doesnt matter how much you know if you lack awareness and get caught off guard it will happen to anyone. You just have to pay attention to what's going on, who's around you and who might be getting to close

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!