• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Respecting" techniques in sparring

But what are you recommending, full contact all the time? Impractical. The idea of sparring is to practice techniques in close quarters without seriously injuring your opponent. It's been practiced this way for many years across many styles, and I would argue that it has created quite a few successful martial fighters.

With respect,

Sohan

nah, all the time is not necessary. but when we spar light, I will not acknowledge your hit. that's all I'm saying. If you hit me, I will come through it, just like I would *attempt to* from a hard hit. to acknowledge the hit IMO instills a bad habit - the habit of stalling. even if you hit me hard, I want to drive through that hit and keep coming, evade, cover up, etc.. To do one thing when you spar one way and do something else when you spar another way is dangerous to you in the long run, as you fight how you train.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is also a problem with front kicks. Most front kicks where i train will land (9/10) because most just chose to ignore/absorb them as they hit the lower abdomen section and cause no pain. But people forget that a front kick is not meant for that section but to the Genital area. And i doubt many would absorve a kick to the genital area.

I have to disagree here. I well placed front kick to the abs can drive someone back pretty bad, or even double them over especially if they're not conditioned. For your average street punk, it can be used to set you up nice for a followup to their face if they only double over.

As far as the sparring side of things, I feel that showing good control and power is key. I can land techniques that would floor you, but by pulling them an inch from you, they don't harm you. As others have said, the key is that your sparing partner has to understand that you pulled the technique NOT to harm them. And as others have said, if they don't see that you would have harmed them in an actual fight, then you add some zing to the next technique. Luckily for me, I've only had to do this once, and the person I was sparring quickly got the message as he picked himself up off of the floor. (FYI, I never harmed him, just drove through with enough power to floor him)