• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"Respecting" techniques in sparring

When sparring, under controlled conditions, in our school we have a "respect" acknowledgment when getting nailed with a good technique.

When we fight, we are controlled, trying not to take someone's head off. So, when a controlled kick finds home, the other fighter will usually "yield" for a second to acknowledge that the technique scored.

A problem that we have with some is that they don't respect a technique that is contolled, and they blast right to you. So, many times, the next technique has less control, and the other person is mad because you decked them.

My question is this: Does anyone else have to deal with this in their style? How do you deal with it? Should it be dealt with?

I am expecting a lot of different comebacks on this. I feel that the full contact practitioners won't consider it like the more traditional style of schools will. But I would like to hear answers and anecdotes. Why this is good and why it is bad.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

respecting the technique merely because you threw it out there introduces too much theory. You threw a strike at my eyes, but it may or may not have blinded me. you threw a straight right that connected, but it may not have been hard enough to KO me, heck it may not have been enough to even slow me down, etc. too much is left in the hands of assumption, which isn't a good thing. Now, if it's done in conjunction with full contact sparring, then it's cool, but I wouldn't rely on this method 100% with no full contact.

Hit harder. :D

People see me as the tall, skinny, punk kid that they can run through and just keep pounding, so I...educate them otherwise. :brow:

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

A well placed kick or punch in a controlled environment, i.e., class or testing will almost always get recognition by me-usually in the form of a short bow. I don't expect the same from my sparring partners but I usually see it. When ego takes over a match however, the small courtesies often disappear and I have witnessed many get out of hand. Physical control of your techniques requires mental control also...a lot is revealed about a student when you watch them spar.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I face this alot in my school. Some students are great about respecting a well controlled technique and some, well, they just have to be hit to understand.

I love fighting with someone who can knock my head off without actually doing the damage. It makes for a fun fight and is a good learning experience.

What I have found, is that it is best to say things like "nice front kick, too bad you would have been spitting teeth after that backfist I just pulled" or something to that extent. Of course it works even better when I am not actually in the match, but commenting from the side.

That's the problem with point sparring or tap sparring. It's not realistic and you don't feel the extent of a roundhouse kick to the head or a front kick to the body.

I've done the point sparring thing and it is hard to break away from that mode of fighting into full contact kumite.

Regardless, I suppose it's like playing cowboys and indians. "BANG BANG!" I shot you,... no I shot you! ` It's your word against his. Not saying that you should totally deck him, but understand that your kick did what it did. Tap him a couple of times pretty good. The worse that will happen is that you turn, kneel and think about the hit on his stomach and the extension through that. Then you stand up and say, "Sorry about that."

Ichi Geki, Hissatsu

one strike, certain death

I run into this frequently when I spar with lesser able partners. I'll score with a technique that would have dropped them in a real fight, but they continue on without acknowledging it, and then act gleeful later if they "score"---when realistically at that point they should be cleaning up their lost teeth from the tatami. It's somewhat disrespectful, though it rarely happens with higher ranking BB's--they usually are quite generous in acknowledging good blows.

I'm with Parkerlineage. If I don't get my due credit (which I myself always give freely), the next time they get my technique with a little more juice on it. Eventually this remedies the issue. :karate:

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Yes, its a problem expecialy against less experienced people who are very agressive fighters. As long as it does not hurts them they will not acknolage it.

When this happens, what i prefer to do i to totaly outclass them and move out of line and do a painfull technik, like punch the floating ribs. OR sweep/grab them and drop them on the floor.

There is no way to stay the same after you move to their back and floor them ending up with a neck/arm lock.

This is also a problem with front kicks. Most front kicks where i train will land (9/10) because most just chose to ignore/absorb them as they hit the lower abdomen section and cause no pain. But people forget that a front kick is not meant for that section but to the Genital area. And i doubt many would absorve a kick to the genital area.

On full contact, i personaly never tryed it. But i already get hurt enuff from normal randory to enter a full contact training. I probably would need to rest 2 weeks after eatch bout.

And i personaly have a thing with gloves. I totaly hate them. You cannot punch straight, or defend correctly with them and they make it easyer to have your hands sweep by others. They also resctrict a lot of throws at least for me.

Hit harder. :D

People see me as the tall, skinny, punk kid that they can run through and just keep pounding, so I...educate them otherwise. :brow:

I have done this before, but it usually leads to reprimands froms the instructor :D .

respecting the technique merely because you threw it out there introduces too much theory. You threw a strike at my eyes, but it may or may not have blinded me. you threw a straight right that connected, but it may not have been hard enough to KO me, heck it may not have been enough to even slow me down, etc. too much is left in the hands of assumption, which isn't a good thing. Now, if it's done in conjunction with full contact sparring, then it's cool, but I wouldn't rely on this method 100% with no full contact.

You make a very good point here, elbows_and_knees. I realize that you probably train differently than I do. It is not so much a "point" that I would have scored, but that my round kick is on your face, and the person just walks through to lay one on you. Our training environment requires us to control our techniques, because we don't have the same equipment available for full contact sports, like in your Thai boxing.

Just a contrast in ideas. This is one of the problems that is posed in "traditional" class settings.