• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My final answer to the high kicking question

Surely this only applies to tournaments? Faking and circling wouldnt neccessarily apply in a real-life situation.

To me the risk of using high kicks outways the their use. This is probably due to my style, which is purely self defence. A high kick seems useless when the same damage can be done with proper use of a block and follow through.

Although they look pretty damn good in tournaments I will say!!!

Karate Ni Sentinashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely this only applies to tournaments? Faking and circling wouldnt neccessarily apply in a real-life situation.

To me the risk of using high kicks outways the their use. This is probably due to my style, which is purely self defence. A high kick seems useless when the same damage can be done with proper use of a block and follow through.

Agreed.

Im not saying you shouldnt practice high kicks, or do them in tournaments, but if you are talking about realistic self defence i would not even attempt a kick above hip level.

I am more used to training with blocking then following through. Quick strikes and yes of course the occasional kick.

However as we don't do a lot of tournaments, and the ones we do are usually kata based - its not as combative as some of you guys. Therefore I would not feel as comfortable in a real life situation throwing a high kick etc. Against the pads yes but I have yet to gauge the right level of force gainst an opponent.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I love the high kicks as much as the next guy. I love setting up my opponent with sidekick jabs to the torso and then turning one over and smacking him on the back of the head...or catching the helmet with a spinning hook kick so that he has to turn his helmet back around on his head. That is for sparring and having fun only.

In the unlikely event that I find myself in a real fight I would never try a high kick. My goal would be to deliver a devistating attack that would end the fight quickly. Unless delivered and placed perfectly, head kicks are unlikely to accomplish that.

Since I spar several times a week, but I don't ever really fight people, practicing my high kicks is definitely worthwhile.

personaly i like high kicks they can end a bad situation fast

its like a finger pointing away to the moon.....dont concentrate on the finger or youu will miss all that heavenly glory

I honestly can't speak from experience in terms of a real fight, so I was merely speculating. I would think it would depend on multiple factors, such as if you had really trained to throw them like you mean it, flexibility, and height (I will again reference that I am 6' 6" tall (1.98 meters) and can do the splits).

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Setup, setup, setup!

That's the key. People throw high kicks as a lead in, but you've got to fake, circle, change up your timing, lead with hands or low kicks...I have the biggest problem with my students trying to throw head kicks or spinning kicks straight out of the gate.

Setup!

I realize that - but you are still likely to get taken down. you set up low kicks as well. high kicks just tend not to work well when takedowns are involved. I agree with you though, all high kicks and power kicks need to be set up.

I've seen a half dozen threads discussing the merits and hazards of kicking high - generally meaning above stomach/groin level.

In the tournament I was in last weekend, in the first round, I faked a low roundhouse with my front leg (left), then, after the guy saw it was a fake and was moving his hands back (he had left forward, too), I threw a right spinning heel hook to his head. I had to catch him, because we think he was temporarily knocked unconcious. And he was wearing a helmet. And I had foam foot-gear on. And I wasn't trying to kill him.

To me, that says, if you can throw 'em, use 'em, because I'd so much rather end a fight from a leg's length away than up close and personal or *gulp* on the ground.

Humbly submitted;

Parkerlineage

well, you can't prove a point by example , some times you can disprove but for sure you can't prove it. next time you may roundhouse kick to somebody's head and he kicks you under at the same time which happens a lot in Kyukoshin fights.

roundhouse kick to somebody's head and he kicks you under at the same time which happens a lot in Kyukoshin fights.

That's Kenpoists' favorite move. I've adapted to that, actually.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I honestly can't speak from experience in terms of a real fight, so I was merely speculating. I would think it would depend on multiple factors, such as if you had really trained to throw them like you mean it, flexibility, and height (I will again reference that I am 6' 6" tall (1.98 meters) and can do the splits).

If you're that tall, kicking to most of your opponents' heads doesn't qualify as a high kick anyway! :D Go for it.