• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My final answer to the high kicking question

I've seen a half dozen threads discussing the merits and hazards of kicking high - generally meaning above stomach/groin level.

In the tournament I was in last weekend, in the first round, I faked a low roundhouse with my front leg (left), then, after the guy saw it was a fake and was moving his hands back (he had left forward, too), I threw a right spinning heel hook to his head. I had to catch him, because we think he was temporarily knocked unconcious. And he was wearing a helmet. And I had foam foot-gear on. And I wasn't trying to kill him.

To me, that says, if you can throw 'em, use 'em, because I'd so much rather end a fight from a leg's length away than up close and personal or *gulp* on the ground.

Humbly submitted;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you understand the risks of utilizing these kicks and are capable of handling the possible negative consequences use em. I do. I've caught tons of guys with these types of kicks in my MMA classes. They just don't expect it. It's all about timing and distance. If you've got it...flaunt it. Just be careful.

We have a wrestler who just came off an international stint with the USA Greco Roman team. I was setting him up for a kick and slipped on a small bit of sweat. He had me down very fast. But...I knew that type of thing was possible, I was prepared for it, and I put him in guard and went to work.

Good kicks (high, low or other wise) are a huge part of my arsenal.

Use em' with pride.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

What would risks of high kicks be?

Balance is slightly compromised, at least more than both feet lower; there is likely to be a bit less power than if you kick lower; it takes longer for your leg to get back down after the kick (not a problem if the guy's unconcious); your groin is waaaaaay exposed (dang Kenpoists :D ).

But, risk vs. reward (thank you SGM Parker), I couldn't agree more with ps1.

If you've got it...flaunt it. Just be careful.

Ed Parker

Many people don't give the high kicks the merit that they deserve. There are risks inherent in using them, but that goes for any technique used in fighting. One must appreciate the skill involved in using high kicks skillfuly in both tournament and self-defense situations.

Anybody can go out and slug away, but it takes practice, patience, practice, and practice to be able to perform high kicks successfully on a skilled opponent.

What would risks of high kicks be?

As wisely spoken by all others, if you are VERY good at high kicks, they can be useful, but, on the other hand, if the big bad ugly dude that is trying to kill you for your wallet is well acquainted with the art of catching kicks, than it is very unlikely that--no matter how good you are at high kicks--you will be capable of throwing a high kick without it being caught, and, consequently, you going down very very rapidly, and probably quite hard, to. Whew, that was a long sentance.

David

PS

Sorry, but I am not quite in a mood for proofreading (something to do with a certain eight page paper :dead: that is due soon), so y'all will have to slog through my terribly wordy, long winded, and.......wait....nevermind.

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

I agree, use them if you can. The thing here though is that from the sounds of it, this was a point sparring tournament. I use them too when I compete in full contact, even thought the danger of using them there is much greater than point fighting. However, I don't use them in MMA. The ruleset allowed should define which tactics you use. in MMA, high kicks are more likely to result in you getting taken down. That is highly possible in the street as well.

n MMA, high kicks are more likely to result in you getting taken down. That is highly possible in the street as well.

throwing a high kick without it being caught, and, consequently, you going down very very rapidly, and probably quite hard, to

Setup, setup, setup!

That's the key. People throw high kicks as a lead in, but you've got to fake, circle, change up your timing, lead with hands or low kicks...I have the biggest problem with my students trying to throw head kicks or spinning kicks straight out of the gate.

Setup!

Ed Parker

To me, that says, if you can throw 'em, use 'em, because I'd so much rather end a fight from a leg's length away than up close and personal or *gulp* on the ground.

The problem is that most fights start up close and personal, not at the same distance you would start at in a tournament.