• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Full Contact fighting

I mentioned another story fully in another post, but briefly here, my brother and I worked in throws once, and he tossed me across a room. It was a nice flight, better than Delta! :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've never been in a formal full contact fight, though i've been in a few real fights. to be quite honest i don't want to get hit hard in the head if i can help it, i'll save that for real fighting.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I compete in full contact.

One of my first fights was sanshou. I couldnt beleive how sloppy I was! Nerves and adrenalin really have a big effect on you. I hated the combersome gloves, and it was hard to see periferally with the head gear on.

A mixture of intense fear and exillaration at the same time. There was no more theorising, no excuses. Just take out the guy in front of you or get beaten down.

I actually did OK. Came 2nd in the tournament. But I realised that alot of what I had been taught hadnt prepared me for a real fight. So I sought out a good dojo that could teach me the skills I needed to really defend myself.

Now I compete in Kickboxing and Kudo MMA. Every fight pushes me to face all my shortcommings and is a very rewarding learning experience.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

i've never been in a formal full contact fight, though i've been in a few real fights. to be quite honest i don't want to get hit hard in the head if i can help it, i'll save that for real fighting.

no kidding! I learned the hard way to give up the body to save the head. I've gotten three concussions in my tournaments, 1 from baseball, 2 from football (other than karate they were just tough luck). It stinks! But now I haven't got hit in the head for about 4 years, lol, I learned my lesson.

I always get asked to go full-contact by kick boxers and army people I train with...and some masachists...but I never do. I let them go full, but after seeing what happened to my opponent in a bare knuckle boxing match at about 75% I decided that was enough of that. Ahhh, makiwara and kime training.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

no kidding! I learned the hard way to give up the body to save the head. I've gotten three concussions in my tournaments, 1 from baseball, 2 from football (other than karate they were just tough luck). It stinks! But now I haven't got hit in the head for about 4 years, lol, I learned my lesson.

I always get asked to go full-contact by kick boxers and army people I train with...and some masachists...but I never do. I let them go full, but after seeing what happened to my opponent in a bare knuckle boxing match at about 75% I decided that was enough of that. Ahhh, makiwara and kime training.

I hear you there. Those people who can do that stuff, they are a special breed. I have a friend like that, and a brother like that. Working out with them is fun!

i went full contact with a marine straight out of bootcamp one time, he picked the fight, but i was intersted to see how i would hold up against a grappler, i do TKD and wanted to see if i could beat this guy, well he rushed in and i hit him with a backside kick in his chest , and that was the end of it, this isn't to brag about myself as much as it is to show that grapplers don't walk allover people who do TKD.

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

good to hear!

must say i think you're rather lucky it connected enough to knock him off his course...cuz it might have been different had he penetrated your guard.

but it wasn't so rock on!!!

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

i went full contact with a marine straight out of bootcamp one time, he picked the fight, but i was intersted to see how i would hold up against a grappler, i do TKD and wanted to see if i could beat this guy, well he rushed in and i hit him with a backside kick in his chest , and that was the end of it, this isn't to brag about myself as much as it is to show that grapplers don't walk allover people who do TKD.

He must not have been a very good grappler. A good grappler would have easily avoided a kick like that and still taken you down. I personally enjoy training full-on with my TKD and karate buddies--they get a few licks in at first, but I ALWAYS take them down and then grind them up like hamburger. The look on their face as I avoid their strikes and kicks and take them down, mount them, and submit them is priceless.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I've competed in Muay Thai, Kyokushin, and Sabaki matches. Twice I have came very close to getting Ko'd in Muay Thai competition and I just remember covering up until the round was over. I won both of these fights, too. The thing I learned most from fighting is that I always think I did better than I did until I watch the tape later.

Every green fighter fights sloppy there first few fights, for some, it takes 10+ fights before they stop fighting sloppy.

For my first muay thai fight I got on the fight poster because of my Kru's connections, I was 18 and a senior in highschool. I was supposed to fight an individual that trained for over 10 years and was around my age, he started out in muay thai very young. I think I only had about 9 months of training in muay thai but was almost a nidan in shito ryu at the time. Anyway, the day of the fight one of the fight promoters comes to my hotel room and tells me that my opponent backed out and that if I didn't mind fighting someone else, I said sure because I trained very hard for this fight. Turns out my opponent is a 37 y/o when I'm 18 in a muay thai fight...I'm a southpaw and a fairly decent kicker, so I kept inside leg kicking my opponent with my rear(left leg)over and over. He was trying to say I kicked him in the groin to buy more time which I didn't...he was a hometown fighter(vancouver, BC)so the ref let it go a few times. Finally in the 3rd round the Ref starts yelling at him that he knows it wasn't a groin kick. I knocked down my opponent at least 6 times from leg kicks being exhausted because I kept kicking and kicking him but he wouldnt' quit. Finally with a few seconds left in the fight I connect full on with a roundhouse to his head and follow up with an inside leg kick right after, he goes down...is given the standing count and won't get up. I won by TKO with only one second left in the fight!

I'll always remember this fight the most because I never competed in kickboxing, just WKF rules point karate and a few WTF tkd rules matches. I later found out talking to some people the person I originally was supposed to fight was very good and it was to be his first Muay Thai fight, too and that he didn't want to risk losing in his hometown(I'm in the Seattle area). Looking back if he was as half as good as I heard he would have probably won that fight if he didn't back out :lol:

I compete in full contact.

One of my first fights was sanshou. I couldnt beleive how sloppy I was! Nerves and adrenalin really have a big effect on you. I hated the combersome gloves, and it was hard to see periferally with the head gear on.

A mixture of intense fear and exillaration at the same time. There was no more theorising, no excuses. Just take out the guy in front of you or get beaten down.

I actually did OK. Came 2nd in the tournament. But I realised that alot of what I had been taught hadnt prepared me for a real fight. So I sought out a good dojo that could teach me the skills I needed to really defend myself.

Now I compete in Kickboxing and Kudo MMA. Every fight pushes me to face all my shortcommings and is a very rewarding learning experience.

I'm moving to western Kanagawa in September (Yamato-city area). I wrote to the Daido-Juku organization to ask if they had a dojo in that area, but their response was kind of vague, I think because of language difficulties. Do you know if there is a Daido-juku school in that area (near Atsugi Naval Air Station?). If not, do you know of another "full-contact" style that has a school in that area?