What is the best stance?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are no best stances,only better stances for different situations,bruce lee took horse stance out when he made jeet kune do because he saw it as usless

its like a finger pointing away to the moon.....dont concentrate on the finger or youu will miss all that heavenly glory

The best stance is one which gives you the best results for that particular moment in time. A stance isn't a fixed placing of the feet - stances and movement should be fluid and natural.

Having said that, I like Shotokan's Sochin-dachi (also known as Fudo-dachi) - "rooted stance". Don't particularly know why I like this stance, I just do. :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Best way I was taught to stand on the feet was from one of my Muay Thai instructors.

Had me stand with my feet together, slide my right foot back until the ball of my foot was kinda in the crook of my other foot- then I simply stepped to the side a little wider than shoulder width.

Its important to be on the balls of your feet regardless of which stance you choose. When you try to attack with power punches, you need to briefly root yourself in the ground, but should quickly regain your balance on the balls of your feet. If you stay in a rooted stance (i.e. heels on the ground) you lose most of your mobility and your ability to sprawl.

When I fight, I do not drop into any deep or low stances. It is almost impossibe to be quick in those type of stances. They look great in Kata, but in sparring, I just use a standing, relaxed, slightly bend in my knees stance. This way I can move in quickly on my opponent and move back out just as fast. But everyone is different.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.