• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gi for Grappling

I don't have a Gi now, but probably will need one in a few weeks, as I'm chaning training places for the summer. I was wondering what people recommend (in terms of brand). I heard Tokaido used, but even with the heavy fabric and tournament style, would that be strong enough? Also, is it a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Taboo to get a Karate gi?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you need a grappling do-gi, get a judo-gi or a Brazilian jujutsu do-gi. Karate uniform isn't designed for cloth-based grappling (in karate, main principle is to grab a body, not the cloth) and won't last long, even if you'd buy a top model.

While there are some canvas do-gi made with judo-gi construction (that take the grappling well), I recommend you to get a good judo-gi. Those are designed for grappling and will last well.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I believe that your teacher knows that best. However, Atama, Krugans, Gameness etc. have their supporters. From judo-gi side you probably can't go wrong with Mizuno and Toraki - they're probably the best there is. Still, any higher quality judo-gi or BJJ-gi will do fine.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland