• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you cross your legs?

My master has always taught me to cross my legs when I do a step in side kick. I've discovered a better way to execute a step in side kick. I know this is a technical question, but I'm trying to examine the advantages and disadvantages of crossing your legs compared to not crossing your legs when you do a step in side kick.

When I mean not crossing your legs, I mean that you step forward with your front foot, then let your back foot shift in but you don't let your back leg cross with your front leg.. INstead your back foot just touches the heel of your front leg, and then you throw out a side-kick. (confusing, heh?I wish i could show u!)

Well I think if you cross your legs when doing a step in side kick, you have more range and distance. HOwever, I think it telegraphs to your opponent in sparring. (once you cross your legs, it signals to your opponent that a step in side kick is coming.)

Also, it takes time to step in, cross your legs, and throw out the kick.

ON the other hand, if you don't cross your legs, you can disguise your kick. YOu can step in, but turn it into a front kick. Do you know what i'm saying?

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-04-21 05:36 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my school, we've been taught to do both. However, we only cross our legs when practicing our side kick.

Crossing over is supposed to help you learn what position you should be in when executing a side kick. In a sparring or real life situation, a step side kick is much more practical.

Just my $0.02

[ This Message was edited by: Eric-TKD on 2002-04-21 11:05 ]

Current Belt: Blue belt - 4th Gup

Current Hyung: Toi-Gye Hyung

I know what you mean, step behind when doing a step through side kick and in front when doing a step through turning kick. Add a bit of a jump/shufflwe and you fly.

I think the step through side kick is one of the quickest, safest and most powerful kick. Works a treat sparring even if they block it it'll hurt there arms and push them back.

Disguise the step up with a lead arm back first to the head, this also draws the gaurd up as you take out their ribs with the kick!! Cool

Bretty

you may cross to close the gap and get good range for follow through of the kick..and as for they heel to heel before the launch of a side kick is good when the oppent is a little closer..just use what works for you or what the situation calls for :up:

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• 3 weeks later...

Crossing your legs for the kick is a great way for power and distance, but horrible for speed. If you really want speed, don't step at all. Keep your feet close together in your fighting stance, and your back leg slightly bent. This will allow you to use that back leg to spring off and kick with your front kick. It has almost no telegraphs (unless you add them yourself :razz: ).

That step-in sidekick does have uses for sparring. Besides distance and power, it's a good way to set up a fake. Because it's so easy to see, it works very well. Throw the sidekick a couple of times and see your opponents' reaction. They may steadily move their guard to where you're kicking, especially if you're aiming for an area where their guard is lacking. This is a great strategy for setting up the fake and still getting hits in. After a while, their guard will move there, and you can start switching up. Step behind, but this time throw a hook or round kick, or front kick like you mentioned (although I don't recommend rockette-style front kicks in sparring...lose your balance for not a lot of effect). You could even do the step just as normal, but completely step around and throw a back kick. So, say, you start with your left leg forward, step with your right leg until it's forward, and immediately throw the back kick. Very sneaky technique :karate:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Don't forget that from the step through(crossing the legs), you can also throw other kicks besides the side kick. For example, a lead hook kick, or even turn it into a lead back kick. Same would go for the step-up(heel to heel), hook, back, or even roundhouse all from the lead leg.

However, it is important to set up your kicks via punches and vice versa. :nod: :up:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Both of my schools (the TSD one and the one I go to now) teach both. We also have a "skip" side kick. It's like a step side kick (without crossing), but ya put a little "hop" into it. I'm a kicker, so I pretty much like them all.

Laurie F

We're taught to step up to the leading foot, not cross it.

Blade 13, you're much more apt to fall with your leg up during any kick than you are just moving your trailing foot up with your leading foot. Do you never kick?

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won