• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My tournament experience today!

parkerlineage

I began the day as center judge for the kata competition, where I got to see all my students that I have been working with do their forms, which was suprisingly rewarding. After that, I did my open hand form, Long Form 6 - which is American Kenpo's most advanced kata. Unfortunately, it wasn't as flashy as three other people's kata in my division, so I ended up with fourth (aka nothing).

Shortly after I finished, I went and performed my wushu double broadsword kata, which contains (in this order): Two 360 spinning crescent kicks in a row, a carp kick, three butterfly kicks in a row, an arial, and then three more of two varieties of spinning crescent (inward and outward) kicks. I was very worried I wouldn't be able to pull it off, but I did, only slipping on my last butterfly kick. I ended up with fourth again, however; though most people said I deserved more, I was happy with my performance nonetheless.

I then judged the kumite competition for varying age groups as a side judge, which was a very neat experience for me. After I finished judging, I went to my own kumite ring and fought. I was in the 'heavyweight' division (180lbs and over). My first fight was against a twenty something year old guy who is a black belt in Lima Lama and a green belt in American Kenpo, and does a tournament every month. I was awarded one point, though we both agreed that I scored more than that, but that point was a spinning heel hook to the head that nearly put him out. I lost 4-1, but I was happy.

The fight for third (which I made it to) was me against a local dojo owner who has been training for 25 years and is a fifth degree black belt in some form of Kempo. It took *forever*, but when it was over, I won 3-1 (the clock ran out).

I'm a Seventh Day Adventist, so I don't go to tournaments on Saturdays - therefore, this was like, my eighth tournament. Though I didn't bring home lots of trophies, and I almost threw up from nerves and passed out from exhaustion and dehydration (I couldn't stomach anything all day), I had a really good experience.

Edited by parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

congrats for your perfomances!

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

Two 360 spinning crescent kicks in a roll, a carp kick, three butterfly kicks in a row, an arial, and then three more of two varieties of spinning crescent (inward and outward) kicks.

Wow... you did all that with two broadswords in your hands as well? That would have been something to see. I sometimes have problems using double broadsword with both feet on the ground.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Nice job. Glad to hear things went well. :)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Thank you all!

Ed Parker

• 1 month later...

my only question is, you got to judge your own students?

Yeah, which I don't inherently agree with, either.

I obviously did my best to be objective, but nevertheless, the kids that are...irritating...in class will start out with a lower score in my subconcious, and those that I have great pride in will do better, whether or not I want them to. And, it's not fair to them, because, for example, when I thought one of them deserved first place, I gave them the same score as a kid from another dojo and let the scores of the other judges decide.

Ed Parker

• 4 months later...