• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Kata do you Know?

armanox

Very cool, my girlfriend is from Atlanta and i've spent quite some time there. Very nice place but what's up with all of the stoplights?

(back on topic)

I see now what shudokan is. It seems similiar to Goju-ryu.

Ichi Geki, Hissatsu

one strike, certain death

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are some similarties between goju and shudokan...However, it would more aptly be compared to shito-ryu but with more circular motions.

Kanken Toyama was a student of Anko Itosu (who taught Shito-ryu/Shuri-te) and the only other student of Itosu's to receive the title of Shihanshi (protege), the other being Gichin Funakoshi. Because of this, much of what we do is based in that style, but with differences and variations.

Although, we do *ahem* "steal" a few things from other styles (such as Goju...) and integrate them into the curriculum/style.

Pian 1-5

Naihanchin

Seisan

Seiuchin

Wansu

Chinto

Kusanku

Useishi

Jion

Ura Jion

Patusai

Ura Patusai

Matsumura Passai

Jutte

Jiin

Sanchin

Sunsu

Bei Rei

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I'm currently learning Kanku Sho and Jin. I say learning, I've been shown the moves, and have them memorised, but I'm still to really understand them.

first i thought your style is a mixed of Shuri and Naha-te but , obviously your Seisan kata is a Shuri-te, although there sames to be a missing part toward the end( Seisan is so old that there are many different versions),what i don't understand is Tensho among all of these Shuri-te katas.

thanks for the upload, if you got a chance let me see your Kihon #5,Matsunura Passai, Kusanku dai and Tensho.

Have the list for the school(open handed only):

Kihon I-V

Naihanchin I-III

Seisan

Pinan I-V

Passai sho(Itosu), dai(Matsumura), and kopassai sho

Kusanku sho and dai

Chinto

Gojushiho

Jion

Unshu

Nakanishi no kata

Tensho

Tensho is a Goju-Ryu kata. Miyagi Sensei is responsible for adding it. Sensei also said that the open handed kata have expanded since this list, but this is the "official" list that I was given, the things about ten years old.

Edited by armanox

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Very cool, my girlfriend is from Atlanta and i've spent quite some time there. Very nice place but what's up with all of the stoplights?

(back on topic)

I see now what shudokan is. It seems similiar to Goju-ryu.

I don't know about stoplights but we certainly have an overwhelming abundance of Peachtree streets. Very confusing for the poor Yankees...:)

Glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy learning about Goju-ryu myself.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Yeah especially peachtree because she resides in the buckhead area. My goodness you take the wrong turn on a friday or saturday night and BAM it could take you an hour to get home because of traffic (a little texas tall tale ad lib)

Anyways good luck with training and maybe i'll stop by your dojo on my way to fellini's *only on diet cheat day* when i'm in atlanta.

OSU

Marc

Ichi Geki, Hissatsu

one strike, certain death

first i thought your style is a mixed of Shuri and Naha-te but , obviously your Seisan kata is a Shuri-te, although there sames to be a missing part toward the end( Seisan is so old that there are many different versions),what i don't understand is Tensho among all of these Shuri-te katas.

thanks for the upload, if you got a chance let me see your Kihon #5,Matsunura Passai, Kusanku dai and Tensho.

Have the list for the school(open handed only):

Kihon I-V

Naihanchin I-III

Seisan

Pinan I-V

Passai sho(Itsou), dai(Matsumura), and kopassai sho

Kusanku sho and dai

Chinto

Gojushiho

Jion

Unshu

Nakanishi no kata

Tensho

Tensho is a Goju-Ryu kata. Miyagi Sensei is responsible for adding it. Sensei also said that the open handed kata have expanded since this list, but this is the "official" list that I was given, the things about ten years old.

i looked up your lineage, it's like this

Chibana->Miyahira->Miyagi-> i guess here is your sensei

i am familiar with all of these katas not including kopassai sho and Nakanishi no kata(bo kata?) , i never heard of them before,

looking forward to see sensei Miyagi's kusanku,

this is what we practice

Naihanchi I,II,III,Pinan I to V,passai sho&dai,kusanku sho&dai,Chinto,Gojushiho then crane katas are NiJu Ken,shorinji Sanchin,HiTsru Ken, Shu Trusu Ken, Kinjo Hakutsuru, Matsumura Hakutsuru, RuShu Ken, Pai Hok,Tsuru Sanchin,Suhite Hakutsuru.

Here are the kata of my system:

Kihon Kata Shodan

Heian Shodan-Godan (I am going to start teaching the Pinan version though)

Naihanchi Shodan - Sandan

Bassai Dai (working on learning Passai version so I can teach it)

Bassai Sho (working on learning Passai version so I can teach it)

Empi

Kanku Dai (working on learning kusanku so that I can teach that version)

Hangetsu

Jion

Weapons Kata

Note: Gyomin Katas are my own creation and unique to Seijitsu Shin Do for its Kobudo Cirriculum. Each one I plan to have a second kata to each weapon maybe even a third.

Bo:

Kihon Bo

Gyomin No Kun Sho

Nunchaku:

Nagamine No Nunchaku Sho

Tonfa:

Kihon Tonfa

Sai:

Kihon Sai

Gyomin No Sai Sho

Kama:

Kihon Kama