• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After 25 years in the arts (TKD, Judo, Muay Thai, Boxing, Kick Boxing, Aikido) I had my first taste of Hapkido (at a seminar) and loved every minute of it!

Hats off to you guys who study Hapkido, it's a great art and one that I'll definately take up in my next life. :wink:

DCMA.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You mentioned that you already knew Aikido. Isn't it essentially similar? I just know that the circular movements of Aikido are typically larger than in Hapkido, but otherwise aren't the various components about the same? Do you think a black belt in Aikido should be allowed quick promotion in Hapkido too?

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

In all honesty, Aikido was the one martial art that I didn't stick at. I only studied it for about 9 months, so didn't really give a fair go. However, the Hapkido I learnt - albeit a very small amount - had the strikes, etc, which impressed me. All the movements were more compact, like you say, so, as a 'package', I prefered the Hapkido.

As for an Aikido practitioner being allowed a quick promotion to Hapkido, well, I don't think I'm experienced enough in the two arts to say.

Either way, it was fun.

DCMS.

What kind of a seminar did you attend? Was it Combat Hapkido (ICHF)? I did Combat Hapkido for about 9 months off and on, and enjoyed it. The only downfall to it is that it is very curriculum heavy.

I took a class of Hapkido once. However, after discussion with the instructor and demonstrations on both of our parts...It was virtually identical to Aiki Jujitsu. We both decided I wouldn't learn much new there. He told me I was more than welcome to train there if I desired...but I already had a place to train my Aiki. I guess this is my long winded way of saying I really like Hapkido also.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

What kind of a seminar did you attend?

I was one of 10 instructors teaching at a large international seminar. I was there to teach Combatives. I was impressed with the Hapkido instructor through discussions that I had whith him prior to him taking over his portion of the seminar, so I decided to join in his segment and thoroughly enjoyed it.

DCMS.

combat hapkido and hapkido are very fun arts....my school incorporates combat hapkido and it is fun to learn for self defense and contains many painful moves(to the attacker). i like it

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

combat hapkido and hapkido are very fun arts....my school incorporates combat hapkido and it is fun to learn for self defense and contains many painful moves(to the attacker). i like it

I agree. The ICHF system is very nice, and has some very good applications. I think it is very practical, as all of the kicks are done below the waist level, and the use of distraction techniques facilitates the moves very well.

hapkido and combat hapkido are very useful in full on self defense situations if you are good that is...they were originally designed for self defense and that is their purpose.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.