• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nothing Special But...

shotokanbeginner

Well I have my first real bug tournament coming up and I'm really nervous and I don't thik I'm ready for it, but I think it'll be a fun challenge. This week has been giving me a little more confidence though. First off I was playing flag football in school, and I got two touchdowns, and it was becuase I was able to block everyones hand away from my flags, honestly I ran th whole feild and I had two people on me at the same time at one point, I really think it was becuase of shotokan that I could block everyones hands, and I know it's not really thay amazing becuase you know where there hands are going to go but it still felt good. Then me and my brother were playing teather ball and I was able to win which made me hyappy becuase not only was I able to stop the ball but when I hit it, it went with lots of force. Do you think it was shotokan that actually helped me or do you think I'm just saying this becuase I'm in it and want to belive that it is the reason?

P.S. I am not trying to sound cocky, and I do not even think I am at a good enough level to defend myself against an attacker at least a that well, I was just happy to see improvement.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Of course your shotokan helped. I feel I am a much better athlete because of my karate practice, and I've found I even dance better too.

Good luck at your tournament!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Your Shotokan definitely helped! Your karate training will improve many different aspects of your life - this is the first of many times when you will notice that your reflexes are getting faster, your flexibility is increasing, your muscles are getting more toned, etc. The list goes on and on!

Keep up the good work, and good luck in your tournament!

Of course your shotokan helped. I feel I am a much better athlete because of my karate practice, and I've found I even dance better too.

With respect,

Sohan

Thank you very much, I am sooo incredably nervous for this tournament there is going to be so many people watching. Any tips?

Your Shotokan definitely helped! Your karate training will improve many different aspects of your life - this is the first of many times when you will notice that your reflexes are getting faster, your flexibility is increasing, your muscles are getting more toned, etc. The list goes on and on!

Keep up the good work, and good luck in your tournament!

Thank you very much, I am so glad to hear my training is coming in useful. I feel unready for the tournament though any tips?

feel unready for the tournament though any tips?

Keep in mind that you're going to be only against people of similar rank and experience - and they are all probably going through the same thing you are at the moment! Just try to relax - I always find meditation helps - just to clear your mind before you compete. Try not to pay attention to what's going on around you, as tournaments can get crowded and pretty noisy. Just relax, stay focused - and have fun! Even if you don't place (I never placed in a tournament until I was a brown belt) it's still a great learning experience.

feel unready for the tournament though any tips?

Keep in mind that you're going to be only against people of similar rank and experience - and they are all probably going through the same thing you are at the moment! Just try to relax - I always find meditation helps - just to clear your mind before you compete. Try not to pay attention to what's going on around you, as tournaments can get crowded and pretty noisy. Just relax, stay focused - and have fun! Even if you don't place (I never placed in a tournament until I was a brown belt) it's still a great learning experience.

Thanks, great advice. I hope they don't allow photography I hate flashes.

I really think that once you begin to compete, you will not notice flashes of cameras or even others around you. (and unfortunately, there will be cameras) Just go with the mind that you are there to learn, get experience, and have fun. I bet you will do great! Good luck.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I really think that once you begin to compete, you will not notice flashes of cameras or even others around you. (and unfortunately, there will be cameras) Just go with the mind that you are there to learn, get experience, and have fun. I bet you will do great! Good luck.

Thanks, I hope your right.

With respect,

Sohan

Thank you very much, I am sooo incredably nervous for this tournament there is going to be so many people watching. Any tips?

In my own personal experience kime is a big factor. Also when sparring as part of the tournament (if you sign up for that) the judges will be looking for a block with a counter. Don't simply block and back off, or half-heartedly block to get in under. They look for full, complete techniques. When it comes to the kata competitions focus on you and not the opponent. Don't try to keep up or make more noise, just do the techniques according to your own body type, timing, and bunkai.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu