• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've just started BJJ and love it. I want to get in some good striking as well. I might want to compete at a very amateur level later, but primarily want/need it for Self defense. I want to go help some friends out in their humanitarian project in Haiti in a few years, but they've run into many problems with individuals who are desperate and poor and willing to do anything. I know if someone shoots at you you're dead an no martial art can teach you to stop bullets. I was wondering though, and have heard that training in multiple styles that involve the same aspect of fighting is bad. Like a striking art and striking art is bad. Is this true in your experience, and if so, why? Thanks for your help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nothing is inherently bad but thinking makes it so.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Yes, because the good habits of one art are the bad habits of the other art, and they both teach very different reactions to very similar problems. If the arts are different in focus, no big deal. Just took a BJJ class today, since they just openned one at a time I can make it to. One of the newer people there had a bit of Regional, so we jogoed a bit, then I esquivaed a kick, entered, reversed to the rasteira, got side control, and went straight into a submission on the elbow. Very little confusion. I -did- encounter some confusion in the clinch, as I would immediately drop to the cocorinha, but didn't really have a good escape out of it for a bit. Ended up having to do negativa role to throw someone from a clinch because my structure just was never where I needed it for the standard throw.

A few days back I picked up a class in SCA style swordfighting. My stances and such were totally screwed up from their point of view, to the point where the main trainer there just decided on the spot that he needed to adapt most of the movements specifically for me to use. My stances were far deeper than they were used to seeing, and my footwork was, to them, strange.

Furthermore, I had a tendency to dodge and go to the ground in ways they found rather odd, and somewhat implausible in their training armor, as well as counterproductive by their ruleset. Since that is by far not a formula art, that's okay, but you often don't have that luxury.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

That hasn't been my experience. I have taken two very different arts, Muay Thai and traditional karate, and I am able to switch forms without much difficulty. It enables me to adapt more fluidly to situations without being too rigidly fixated on a certain motor pattern.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

i am cross training tkd tia chi and jujitsu that would resemble gracie style. but for much different reasons than you. but i am having fun with it. and feel comfortable going from one to the other.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

I don't think mixing striking and striking is a bad idea. You will get to experience a couple of different philosophies. Also, striking in TKD is different than striking in Karate. Why not experience both if you can?

To give you a suggestion, I would consider boxing as your striking art, if you are looking for one.

I just realized something at class today. A lot of people do BJJ and Muay Thai, however, the stance that you want to be in for a grappling match is different than a Muay Thai fight or an NHB fight, so I guess you just have to eventually learn to shift and move with whatever is given to you.

Yes, because the good habits of one art are the bad habits of the other art, and they both teach very different reactions to very similar problems. If the arts are different in focus, no big deal. Just took a BJJ class today, since they just openned one at a time I can make it to. One of the newer people there had a bit of Regional, so we jogoed a bit, then I esquivaed a kick, entered, reversed to the rasteira, got side control, and went straight into a submission on the elbow. Very little confusion. I -did- encounter some confusion in the clinch, as I would immediately drop to the cocorinha, but didn't really have a good escape out of it for a bit. Ended up having to do negativa role to throw someone from a clinch because my structure just was never where I needed it for the standard throw.

A few days back I picked up a class in SCA style swordfighting. My stances and such were totally screwed up from their point of view, to the point where the main trainer there just decided on the spot that he needed to adapt most of the movements specifically for me to use. My stances were far deeper than they were used to seeing, and my footwork was, to them, strange.

Furthermore, I had a tendency to dodge and go to the ground in ways they found rather odd, and somewhat implausible in their training armor, as well as counterproductive by their ruleset. Since that is by far not a formula art, that's okay, but you often don't have that luxury.

I noticed your SCA note. I have had some experience in the SCA style of swordplay as well. We really just use a simple stance with the lead leg about shoulder's width in front of the rear. I do find their ruleset very limiting.

Right, and they also seem to use a sort of fencing L foot position. My natural default stance when handed a sword and shield was to put my feet parallel at a 45 degree, a leg length apart in a very natural and simple stance.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 2 months later...