• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What should I do?

Don't let the kids see that you're nervous - they sense everything. As hard as that might seem, keep in mind that they look up to you and everything you do needs to be an example to them.

Teaching does take a while to get used to, but eventually it will become second-nature to you. Just don't get discouraged if it seems difficult at first.

If you have to make your own lesson plan, I suggest watching how the other instructors teach and take notes - that way when you are faced with a whole class to plan, you have a bunch of ideas already written down. This is what I did and when I began instructor training I found it extremely helpful.

Everyone else on this thread has given great advice. Keep up the hard work and you will make a great instructor!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make eye contact with the students, and speak just a little louder than your normal tone usually carries. That way, everyone in the room can hear you, and you won't have students asking others what to do.

One more important thing: smile, and have fun. If they see you enjoying yourself, then they will have fun, too. If everyone has fun, then everyone comes back.

Another thing that I do, after I teach a class, is thank everyone for coming. I don't necessarily do it at the end of class, but I do it after everyone has changed, and they are making their way out the door. They will appreciate it.

This reminds me when I first was let teach some things as a brownbelt. I was up there and did not know how to express myself. The best thing i found that helped me is think of those that taught you as a beginner. try to teach like them until you slowly lean more toward your own way of teaching. Remember that as a teacher you are a leader also. You have to present yourself respectably. Many people fall into a pattern of speaking low and quickly. Make sure you slow down and speak loudly.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

Here is a book that I found to be very helpful:

Martial Arts Instruction by Lawrence Kane

I would highly reccomend it.

When you start teaching, firstly, as a number of others have said, be humble. Nothing will make a student clam up faster than a ego-loaded teacher. Secondly, relax. If you get tense, it is all downhill from there, trust me. Thirdly, try not to ramble. From my experience, it is very easy to accidently do, and it really gets on peoples' nerves. If you are trying to explain something, and it is just not working, chances are that you are rambling; in this scenario, stop talking and just have them keep practicing the move. Observe carefully, try to figure out what the problem is, and try to find a short & sweet way of explaining it without too much talking. Also, as important as it is to be humble, as seemingly contradictory as it is, you also need to make sure that you are not seen as just some dude/dudette that sensei put in charge. Everybody should know that you are the one running the show. As Ms. Lillith said, do not let them think that you are a softie, but, at the same time, you musn't be mean to accomplish this. As already said, it also helps a lot to speak up just a little bit while teaching, because it helps cement the fact that you are actually in charge. Also, you should speak up because nothing is more annoying than a teacher that talks so softly that you can never tell what they want you to do. Also, NEVER NEVER NEVER, EVER get angry. That is the absolute worst thing you can do. Anger shows that you are in control of neither yourself of the situation. If someone is continually doing something that is just kinda annoying (but harmless), get over it; that is part of teaching. If someone is continually doing something which is annoying and has some kind of harmful effect (ie annoying other students, distracting others, hurting others, ticking off others, or if it is in ill-will, et cetera), then you should firmly reprimand that person (while keeping a perfectly cool presence about you), and follow the general standard practice at your dojo when it comes to dishing out pushups (or whatever other punishment method is standard).

So basically, to sum up my advice (which is not at all expert, so take it with a grain or two of salt):

1) Be humble.

2) Relax.

3) Do not ramble. If you start rambling, stop, compose your thoughts, and spell them out as simply as possible.

4) Be firm.

5) NEVER get angry.

6) Do not be stupid.

7) Have fun :)

David

PS

Note the witty demonstration of rule #3 :wink:

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

i remember well the first day i took over as instructor of our karate group. my sensei (although he had become a pacifist) had graciously offered to observe me and give me tips as a kind of farewell gesture.

right away he told me that i had made two huge mistakes.

1) i tried to over explain. i broke down each movement as i was learning them at my (more) advanced stage rather than teaching the basic part of the move

2) i made a small, but forgiveable error in my form. the reason my sensei pointed this out to me was that the other students (in addition to the usual problems that beginners have) had all adopted my problem. every one of them. if it were their only issue it wouldn't have been so noticeable.

my advice: don't worry so much about how you explain something. break it down into the essential information and keep in mind that they will have decades to perfect their form as long as they get a good foundation. 2) practice each technique before class by yourself in front of a mirror (maybe even with an instructor there to offer advise) and make your form perfect. there is nothing worse than spoiling a perfect vessel by dipping a dirty finger in it.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog

Wow, a lot of good advice in this thread.

The only thing I can add, and had no doubt been said, is to take your time. Don't worry about them refining the technique right away.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 months later...

why dont you start correcting yourself first. it may sound weird but if you do a kata step by step and find out what you need to correct on your self, it will give you a better idea on how to correct them

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

• 4 weeks later...

another thought on being an instructor: don't take yourself too seriously. learn to admit your mistakes and move past them. of course you must always think in terms of how you can bring others up in the martial arts, but also be thinking to yourself "am I freaking this kid out?"

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog

• 1 month later...