Unforgivable Rules

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone has ever been expelled from our dojo. Our dojo is very tight knit (as I would expect are most), if someone did something to dishonour the dojo or themself they won't be expelled they will just be ignored, eventually they remove themselves. Fortunately we have never had anyone do some of the things some of you have suggested (like violent crimes), I'm not sure how that would be approached, that may a case were someone is strictly expelled.

Only by contrast can we see

Teaching martial arts outside of school to non martial art students is a big no no. Had this happen. One inexperienced kid showing stuff to other kids and they beat up several other individuals (saying they learned MA at our school).

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I run my own school and while I do not have any single unforgiveable rule, we have an on going joke about the importance of rule number 1.

Rule number 1: Don't throw up on Sensei.

This rule allows any student who may break this rule otherwise, to head to the bathroom if needed. Really I am not a freak about getting barfed on, but if you were to ask any of my kids class members what the first rule of the dojo was, that is what they would say.

I did have to dismiss an adult student about a year ago...but that was not for breaking one single rule...she broke about every rule, and a bunch of times. I was actually more patient with her than I needed to be.

There are only a couple of things people will get immediately kicked out of the school for. Anything else would have to be an accumulation of problems.

Deliberate violence of any kind, in or out of the dojo (this included mallicious intent only, not defence)

Deliberate disrespect of students, instructors or anyone else associated with the school or martial arts in general.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

For our school we have a couple of rather strict rules which result in immediate dismissal. First and foremost is any signs of disrespect to anyone in the school. Second is a strong prohibition on dueling or "showing off" outside of the school. The third is never show up to class intoxicated. (i.e. no drugs, no booze).

Sadly, we once had to dismiss a student for "showing off". It was a difficult thing as the student was one of our best sankyu students. A simple lapse of judgement on his part ended his training with us.

• 11 months later...

fighting out side the dojo, unless clearly in self defense...

trying to teach by yourself, like creating your own mini do jang without asking

promoting someone without notifying anyone

stealing from the studio, because we run on and honor system and some of our lockers with our stuff is in it, and sometimes checks are handed to instructors in hopes they will make them to our master

being disrespectful(three strikes, unless severe)

being in trouble with the law

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

• 5 weeks later...

Purposely hurting someone in class

Using Tae Kwon Do on a non-practitioner when not in self defense

Consistant disrepect of peers and seniors

Teaching without permission

Taking classes at another dojang

Having said that, it is not easy to get kicked out. You have to really screw up for our GM to take that step, because cutting someone makes him look bad too. It's not something he does lightly.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

My "rules" involve the safety of those in and out of the dojang as well as criminal activity and blatant disrespect. I try to nix behaviors that may lead to such violations (especially in the kids classes) by talking frequently with them about such topics. I have never kicked anyone out of the school but I have removed a student from sparring class for shaking a fist at her opponent when she became irritated that she asked her to tone it down.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/