• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with 75 White Belts!!!

I have been running an afterschool program for school students for almost two years now with few problems. I have run into a major challenge and need some advice. Another local school is joining our program. I went and did some demos in their PE classes and then had a parents meeting and I was amazed that I had 75 kids to enroll. I had a hard enough tie teaching 20 whitebelts, I do not think I am capable of 75 by myself. The largest class I have now is about 45 kids, but those are scattered ranks and I even have a couple of Jr. Black Belts that trained with me at my home dojo. Any suggestions besides find another instructor, because there is no one in this county that is not competing with me and trying to move in on the County school systems. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Heather

You are only as good as you believe you can be!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unless you hire an instructor, or clone yourself, the best option is likely to break the class up into different time segments, say, one at 2:30 and another at 3:30. Of course, this means that the second group has to find something else to do until 3:30, but I really see no better option. If you can actually teach 75 kids at once with quality, you deserve a major award and a good therapy session. :)

How far are you from your home dojo? Can't you enlist a Jr BB or even some Brown or Green belts?

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Wow. That's a lot of white belts. I recommend a chair and a whip :brow:

Seriously, I can handle up to about 25, maybe 30 white belts at the 8-12 year old range. More than that, you start needing assistants. The kids in the back can't see, if you go to the back the kids in the front turn around, etc etc.

Either break the class up into sections, or get some assistants.

If neither of those is an option, then number the kids. Have group #1 on the floor for 5 minutes doing a drill, then send them off to the side to get a drink, and do the same drill with group #2. Keep switching back and forth. Make it a competition, even. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

2:30 and another at 3:30. Of course, this means that the second group has to find something else to do until 3:30, but I really see no

If you can break them up, have once class at 2:30. The second class gets to sit in the practice room around the sides and do their homework. Then when they get up for the second half, the first group can do THEIR homework. That might be another option for you.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Thank you I believe you just solved my problem. The kids stay afterschool for two hours. I am usually only there for the second hour and they are in the care of the after hours caretaker until then. If I go for both hours then I will be able to break the class in two groups. The homework idea is wonderful but may not work. But to my advantage the caretaker will be there for the first hour anyway and she can handle those kids. As for the kids that workout first I will allow them to leave afterwards if desired and possible or they can do homework or find something to do. I think this might work. Thank you. I can think for myself most of the time, but I am a little overwhelmed.

Much Thanks,

Heather

How far are you from your home dojo? Can't you enlist a Jr BB or even some Brown or Green belts?

With respect,

Sohan

I am no longer with my home dojo. I still have an instructor and I work out with the people that are also former members of my home dojo, but this afterschool program is my own personal adventure.

Heather

With respect,

Sohan

I am no longer with my home dojo. I still have an instructor and I work out with the people that are also former members of my home dojo, but this afterschool program is my own personal adventure.

Heather

Perhaps its time for you to begin training some adults on your own with an eye for making some of them future instructors. Won't help you today, but it will pay off in the future--surely you can train someone to be a basic assistant (not necessarily a teacher) in around a year or so. Would your home dojo support you if you decided to do this? With 75 students, you must be able to recruit some adults or even better, teens, through those connections.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

I think I need to explain something a little more. My Instructor pulled out of the organization I recieved my black belt from about 2 years ago due to sexual harrassment issues. I left with her. She is like a mother to me and I turn to her for advice in MA and life. She still trains with me, but I am totally on my own with my program. I have 4 elementary schools and 8 middle schools that I alternate days and times and teach in their gyms. We have a county wide tournament annualy amongst the schools. I have tried to train some of the coaches to help with the classes, but they are pretty busy. I would love to train teens and adults, but with two small boys running around I do not have the time to open a school. The aferschool programs are about too much for me to handle. If I had somewhere to train adults to help me that would be ideal.

Heather

I think I need to explain something a little more. My Instructor pulled out of the organization I recieved my black belt from about 2 years ago due to sexual harrassment issues. I left with her. She is like a mother to me and I turn to her for advice in MA and life. She still trains with me, but I am totally on my own with my program. I have 4 elementary schools and 8 middle schools that I alternate days and times and teach in their gyms. We have a county wide tournament annualy amongst the schools. I have tried to train some of the coaches to help with the classes, but they are pretty busy. I would love to train teens and adults, but with two small boys running around I do not have the time to open a school. The aferschool programs are about too much for me to handle. If I had somewhere to train adults to help me that would be ideal.

Heather

Actually, your situation isn't as challenging as you think. Consider the way the old masters taught. Many were working class who worked long hours, but they taught individual students at odd hours with only 1-3 students at a time. They often only taught those they felt had the potential to pass on their art.

Perhaps you can start with one or two people you know that are earnest about TKD and would like to learn for a nominal fee. They could approach working with you on an informal yet enduring basis by establishing a mentor relationship. It really wouldn't take but a few hours a week and it would benefit you in the long run. You could provide belt promotions with your instructors backing. Your quality of instruction and reputation in the community will make up for any lack of affiliation.

With a little creativity you can have a school without having a school. Don't think of it as a large organization but rather think of it like our forefathers did, one student at a time.

With respect,

Sohan

Actually, your situation isn't as challenging as you think. Consider the way the old masters taught. Many were working class who worked long hours, but they taught individual students at odd hours with only 1-3 students at a time. They often only taught those they felt had the potential to pass on their art.

Perhaps you can start with one or two people you know that are earnest about TKD and would like to learn for a nominal fee. They could approach working with you on an informal yet enduring basis by establishing a mentor relationship. It really wouldn't take but a few hours a week and it would benefit you in the long run. You could provide belt promotions with your instructors backing. Your quality of instruction and reputation in the community will make up for any lack of affiliation.

With a little creativity you can have a school without having a school. Don't think of it as a large organization but rather think of it like our forefathers did, one student at a time.

With respect,

Sohan

Sounds like a good idea to me

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt