• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When a master?

when a master? Never.

Very good point.

This post is not meant to sound like I have the answers to this question. I thought that I would try to work it into an article, but then got to thinking that I am not sure what it takes, or should require, to become a master. I am seriously thinking about undertaking this project; who knows, I may learn a lot about myself in the process.

What I have noticed is that there are many opinions about when a person should be allowed to attaing a black belt, and people are very adamate about them.

But no one has the same kind of arguments for mastership. I thought that this was curious.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do not acknowledge an individual as Master in our style until 6th Dan. But instead of calling him/her Master, we refer to them as Shihan.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I think that right before you start to understand the mechanics of martial arts, you find that there are indeed more details to hone in on.

Learning is a never ending process.

Mastering one aspect is the realization of another aspect to master.

Ichi Geki, Hissatsu

one strike, certain death

There was a discussion on this kind of recently

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=309239&highlight=#309239

I really think that the big thing is that there are different definitions of the word "master"

The term "master" often is appropriately applied (in many systems) to anyone of rank fourth degree/dan blackbelt or above. It's just the rank- saying that they are not masters is like redefining Shodan to mean something other than the rank, and deciding to say that someone with a 1st degree black belt is not a shodan.

Some would say that you can never "master" a system, but that means that they are taking "master" to equal "perfect"

Many concider a Master to have a mastery of a system, much in the way that one has a mastery of buisness (MBA) or mastery of the English Language- not perfect, but extremely proficiant. (sp?)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Master = after a lifetime of serious study...possibly

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

at my school, a master is considered a 4th degree blackbelt or higher. Right now the only BB at the school is the Grandmaster who is a 9th degree BB.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

I think that becoming a master isn't something that you can put a rank to, or a time limit on. There are many higher ranking individuals that simply aren't very good. The title of Shihan, which I interpret as Teacher of Teachers, should be given very sparingly. I would prefer if the system was just two belts. White until you understood enough to become a black belt and then black belt. Maybe when your belt faded to white, then you might be a master, a dedicated follower for life, and then some.

Gi, Yu, Rei, Jin, Makoto, Melyo, Chugo

I think that becoming a master isn't something that you can put a rank to, or a time limit on. There are many higher ranking individuals that simply aren't very good. The title of Shihan, which I interpret as Teacher of Teachers, should be given very sparingly. I would prefer if the system was just two belts. White until you understood enough to become a black belt and then black belt. Maybe when your belt faded to white, then you might be a master, a dedicated follower for life, and then some.

but then if you work hard, but aren't any good, you'd still be a grandmaster.

Again- it depends on which definition of master you are using.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Marie Curie said:

Again- it depends on which definition of master you are using.

I don't believe it can be put any more clearly than this. Bushidoman96, if you wish to write on something, you must first define it. Every orginization has a definition of what their "masters" are and what they know. If any orginization gives the title of Shihan/ Master/ Pendakar or whatever, without a definition of what skills and qualities that person should posess, the title is meaningless.

If one, as several have already pointed out, defines master to mean perfect...or even near perfect...than it is something unachievable for all except God. And I know one thing for certian in life...I'm not God.

Perhaps your article could be one of comparitive research. You could do research on what major orginizations require for their "master" ranks and compare them from there. For example...I saw someone posted saying a person should be at least 25 yrs old. That seems kind of young to me. Most 25 year olds have lived very little life to be wise enough IMO. In the Kwanmuzendokai a person must be at least 35 before earning godan (the rank associated with Shihan in that orginization). I think an article of this nature would be extremely interesting.

Thanks

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."