• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When a master?

I am stringing this thread off of an idea from the "2 year black belts?" thread in the Korean Arts forum. My question is, how long does it take to become a "master?"

In my current association, you become a Jr. Master upon reaching 4th dan, and you become a Master upon reaching 5th dan. In the ATA, it used to be that one wasn't eligible for master until 6th dan, and even then only 3 were taken each year.

In the ATA, there are requirements above and beyond that must be met, and a special test and ceremony taken. In my current association, there is only a testing, with forms, one-steps, sparring, breaking, and the writing of a paper.

So, what does it take? How much time? How old should one be? At what rank should it be attained?

Just one note: I don't think that Bruce Lee ever carried the title of Master.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Master has two definitions in this context, in my mind.

Master could be a title bestowed upon a student after completing a predetermined task (rank, tenure, teaching, etc.) Master could also be a title bestowed upon a teacher by his/her students, peers or Instructor after they feel he has reached a level of mastery.

In the first definition, it is entirely up to the organization doing the bestowing. It will vary between organizations and even within branches or schools in the organization.

In the latter definition, it is determined by opinion which means that some people could consider the exponent a master while others do not.

I am certainly at no point to where I could bestow someone with the rank of Master as in the first definition. I feel, though, that I have every right to call someone Master no matter what their rank if I believe him/her to be at a level of mastery worthy of the title.

Technically master's rank has always been 5th Dan by what I always knew until most recently like the last 8 years or so where 4th dan has been masters rank. Personally I think it should be 5th dan in most cases but I think once should have at least 15 years in the arts and be at least 25 years old. However thats not always the case.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

It depends on the system. Many recognize 4th dan as a Masters level. ATA is 6th + 1 year of preparatory training. Not sure about other systems.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

The only thing I've mastered is the ability to make amazing Italian lasagna. I'm quite proud of this skill, though my wife refuses to call me Master for it.

:)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu