• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate = Tae kwon Do??

Adam

It's a shame there's so much animosity between those two cultures when they both have such rich histories. Hopefully this won't always be the case.

With respect,

Sohan

This is changing! When I was in Japan in 2002, I stayed with a married couple- the woman was Korean and the husband was Japanese.

Kong- the woman told me that this inter-marrying was very common, as Korean women are raised to be a little more "wild" (that's the word that she used) than Japanese women, and that many Japanese men were growing to like that, while Korean Men were wanting more of the "calm" Japanese woman.

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200407/200407290028.html

http://www.rjkoehler.com/?p=664

Japanese Men Marrying Foreign Women

China 10,242

Phil. 7,794

Koreas 5,318

Thai 1,445

USA 156

UK 65

Brazil 295

Peru 139

Other 2,427

Total 27,881

Japanese Women Marrying Foreign Men

Koreas 2,235

China 890

Phil. 117

Thai. 62

USA 1,529

U.K. 334

Brazil 265

Peru 125

Other 2,601

from...

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/jinkou/suii03/marr2.html

Anyway, as to the topic-

I think that people right now largely know what TKD is (thank you olympics), however, people of an older generation may not- My mom, for example, is in her mid 40' and before I was an MA person, thought of it all as Karate because that is the term that was popularized in movies when she was younger.

Soooo- if it was a school started like 20 years ago- it seems reasonable that it would be called "Karate", and even 5 or 10 years ago this generation was the make-up of the Mom's and Dad's that were picking out the places.- just my 2 cents

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of those couples, the Koreans are Japanese-born Koreans, something left over from World War II. The animosity between the two countries is still thick in the older generations. WW II has kind of been erased from Japanese texts, so their kids can't get enough of all things Korean. You ask a Korean man if he's Chinese and he'll politely say, "No, no, I'm Korean." You ask him if he's Japanese, and he'll slam his hand down and say, "I am NOT Japanese!" It's unfortunate, but it's hard to get over the past.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

If you ask a Korean about karate, 9 times out of 10 they will not know what it is. If you try and explain it a little further, they will say "ahhh Taekwondo". And if say what a big influence karate (shotokan) has in taekwondo, they get offended and tell you that tkd is 1000 years old.

Elbows and knees is right about the big influence in Korean MA. This is due to the colonialisation of Korea by Japan between 1910 - 1945. Korea in general is very much influenced by Japan, but the Koreans would never say so!

I hate hearing people refer to karate as TKD, or vice-versa.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I personally believe Tae Kwon Do and Karate should be referred to as separately. I too dislike it when a school says "karate" but end up being a tae kwon do school or something else. I understand the origins of Tae Kwon Do vs Karate but what I was mainly asking is:

1. Are there martial arts school in your area that adverstise themselves as "karate" but teach a totally different style like Tae Kwon Do or Kung fu?? Or is this seems to be happening only where I live??

2. Do you think it is acceptable for schools to advertise themselves as Karate but teach a different style? :karate:

First of tangsoodo is tradishonal korean karate.I can understand were tkd is not.Tkd was a faled attempt by korea to take all. outside influinces out of korean karate.Thay dont even want it called karate.Now dont get me rong I am not saying tkd is bad.I am saying not every one united under the name tkd.Hence faled.

I am pround of Tangsoodo and all of its influnices.But I am tired of people saying its the same.As japines karate.There is no japines influince.There is how ever okinawon formes in it.so I will give you that but the ismuch more chines influnice than okinawon.Not only that you forget the koreans were practising karate thousends of years ago.Befor japan or okinowa ever invaded.

Now i would like to know were you think shotokan influned tsd or tkd.If you have proof i would love to see because funikoshi would of been long pased on by the time gm hwang kee was around 11.But if he does have influnes in tkd.I would not know.I dont know much abut tkd after the split.As gm hwang kee chose to remane indapendint.But befor the split shotokan had nothing to do with tsd of tkd.As i mentiond befor he was long passed by the time any of this took place.

Now i am not meaning to offend anyone Just tying to clear up some miss conceptions.

Be respectful of other people and other styles. I hate it when people are so negitve about each other.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

Korea in general is very much influenced by Japan, but the Koreans would never say so!

Sure. And Japan was influenced heavily by China (borrowed art, music, writing, etc). We are all influenced by other cultures as we are exposed to them. It's ironic that there is so much animosity among these Asian powers when they have all borrowed so much from each other.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• 1 month later...

I haven't studied much of TKD, but I have Karate, so excuse my ignorance when I ask, what IS the difference between TKD and Karate?

(Yes I know Karate has subcategories also..Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, etc.), but in general.

A New Age Dawns

I know that all the local ATA establishments advertise "Karate For Kids" as a program they offer. I visited their website and it's located in the national ATA also.

Don't ask me why. I've never studied at an ATA.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."