• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Branching Away From TKD

I am 21 years old and have been studing TaeKwonDo since I was four. I am ready for something more. Anyone recommend a direction I should head to enhance my Martial Arts experience. What style do I move on to? I have talked to local schools in Judo and some similar arts and they offered to enter me as a black belt. Do I start from the beginning or go in at black? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Heather

You are only as good as you believe you can be!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would recomend a grappling art like judo or jujitsu d/t it being significantly different from TKD. As for entering as a blackbelt I would recomend entering at a beginner level and having to go through all the hoops. The reason for this is that they would be significantly different. Just because you have a great wealth of knowledge in one art, it doesn't mean you are any good yet at another (not saying you wouldn't be though). On the other hand if you just want to take the class on an occasional basis from time to time but not attend as a regular student entering at a black belt level could be ok if all parties realize there are likely to be some issues regarding technique and understanding.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

i would recommend possibly trying a chinese martial art like kung fu....they are much different than karate or tae kwon do, but make sure you find a reputable school...not a kung fu mcdojo. also if you do decide to do something on the likes of jujitsu don't go for being given a blackbelt a black belt has to be earned not given...do the work to get it and there will be more satisfaction garnered from the experience from white belt to black versus just recieving black.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

I would definitely go for a grappling style - judo or bjj would be good. I would also go in as a white belt. After all, you are deliberately studying something very different than what you have a black belt in.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

I am totally with you on the White Belt thing. Is Judo a good choice because in order to take anything else I will have to travel at least 30 miles. It is a grabbling art correct?

Heather

I am totally with you on the White Belt thing. Is Judo a good choice because in order to take anything else I will have to travel at least 30 miles. It is a grabbling art correct?

Heather

Grappling art, yes, although it's not as much of a groundfighting art as jiu jitsu. There is more of a stand up element rather than just immediately trying for a mount/joint lock and tapout.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Why do you have to branch away? Stick with it. Supplement your training with the judo, but I would not forsake it.

As far as the next school you go to, you will be starting at the beginning, no matter what belt you wear.

I am not leaving TKD by any means. By brancing away I ment expand ing. I want to learn more. I am still learning in TKD, but I am limited in TKD because at my Dojo we do very limited ground work. Most attacks end up on the ground and I want to be able to protect myself in a real life situation.

Heather

I am not leaving TKD by any means. By brancing away I ment expand ing. I want to learn more. I am still learning in TKD, but I am limited in TKD because at my Dojo we do very limited ground work. Most attacks end up on the ground and I want to be able to protect myself in a real life situation.

Heather

Most attacks end up on the ground only if you let them.

However, if it is ground work that you want, then jiu jitsu would suit you more than judo.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Heather

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I always thought that learning judo would be fun, because of all the throws there are to learn.