• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weighted Clothing

Scully

I'm just wondering if anyone on these forums uses weighted clothing (weighted shits, pants, weatbands gis shoes. etc.) when they are training. If so, can you recommend a skill level for when I can begin using them. (nothing to heavy ofcourse XD) Or should i start using them when i feel like I'm ready. Or is it just a stupid idea. I just wanna make sure im not jumping ahead of myself and my training. I really wanna take my karate serious (btw I'm black belt 1st Dan, 16 years old)

"If instead of fighting with him you say to your enemy, "You have won" and bow before him, that is the biggest deed in the world."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've used a weight vest for running stairs, but not usually for MA training except for some light ankle weights for practicing super slow kicks.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Why not? If you can pump out 100 or so pushups/ pullups without breaking a sweat, why not wear a weighted vest and get some new muscle growth.

I'm actually shopping for one online right now. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I think using extra equipments just depends on you and your level. For beginners I reccommend using ankle and wrist weights for kicks and punches. Nothing too extreme but just enough to give you some resistance. One thing to remember is that consistency is the key. Once you start try not to stop!!!

Weighted clothes are not as effective as they seem. Sure they can boost ones speed, but using too heavy of weights can ruin the ligements in your knees and elbows. AVOID USING WRIST WEIGHTS FOR PUNCHES!!! It does not speed punches up and only cause more hurt than help. Also training underwater does not do much because almost 80% of a persons power comes from their legs and the "snap" of their hips during the technique. underwater there is no solidity in your stance so all your doing is swimming. It is good for endurance though. Weighted vests are really good for endurance also. The best way to get really good is to train hard, and very often.

Shindo Jinen Ryu Ryobu Kai-Second Degree Brown Belt

Weighted clothes are not as effective as they seem. Sure they can boost ones speed, but using too heavy of weights can ruin the ligements in your knees and elbows. AVOID USING WRIST WEIGHTS FOR PUNCHES!!! It does not speed punches up and only cause more hurt than help.

Actually, light wrist weights and handheld dumbbells are great for super slow punches, which do indeed create more powerful speed punches without much injury risk. Loren Christensen is a big proponent of weighted punching to develop power in his books. I would never use them for anything other than very slow punches, though. Same for ankle weighted kicks. The weight used should be relatively light, only a few pounds, to get the desired effect.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I use these on a regular basis. Our Sensei recommends this at pretty much any level so long as you don't over do it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I think using extra equipments just depends on you and your level. For beginners I reccommend using ankle and wrist weights for kicks and punches. Nothing too extreme but just enough to give you some resistance. One thing to remember is that consistency is the key. Once you start try not to stop!!!

that is a VERY bad idea at any level, unless you are punching and kicking slowly. doing it with speed (like the dragon ball z characters, which is why many young people want weighted clothing) will mess up your joints.

Take the advice above - i.e. use only for doing your techniques slowly, but bluntly, IMHO I don't think you should use these at all at age 16. Your body is still developing, and you should be very careful as far as the use of weights is concerned.

Elastic bands and surgical tubing might be a better substitute for weights when practicing punches and kicks. Resistance bands don't undergo the momentum that a weight attached to the end of your limbs would, thus lowering the incidence of hyperextension related injuries.