• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Broad Sword or Straight Sword

Broad Sword or Straight Sword  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Broad Sword or Straight Sword

• Broad Sword
    • Straight Sword

A Jian(also called a gim or taichi sword or straightsword) has a long thin blade(about 28-30 inches long) and is razor sharp for the first third, moderately sharp for the second third and blunt for the final third. As it is a very thin blade, you can't block with it. It's more of a slashing and piercing weapon.

http://www.casiberia.com/cas/images/products/SH2008A.jpg

A Dao(also called a chineese broadsword or sabre) has a single edged curving blade similar to a falchion or a scimitar. It's more of a chopping weapon.

http://www.wle.com/media/ANT002.jpg

(I badly want one of these, it's an antique and wle.com sells them for more money than I can afford :( )

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to do it, dang it, if it takes me the rest of my life. :karate:

Seeing the pics, and reading the explanations by lordtariel, I think that your combat system would be very interesting. You would probably have to use the dao in the lead hand, to be able to parry with it, and then attack with the jian. You would be able to attack with both, obviously, but with the jian being primarily offensive, it would limit some of your options.

A Jian(also called a gim or taichi sword or straightsword) has a long thin blade(about 28-30 inches long) and is razor sharp for the first third, moderately sharp for the second third and blunt for the final third. As it is a very thin blade, you can't block with it.

wow, that's interesting. so does it flex like a rapier blade?

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Most of the jians do, some of them are rigid and slightly heavier. A skilled practitioner could make the sword bend into the joints of armor. A lot of the stuff you do with a rapier could be pulled off with a jian, but that's not how they were used. My only experience with the straightsword is through tai chi and some experimentation with friends so I'm not necessarily an expert on the weapon. I've seen flexible daos, but I'm pretty sure they are only wushu weapons.

u can block with a straightsword, just be careful what u block against, or more correctly deflect.

Deflecting is great against thrusts, but when it comes to cuts, you have to block or evade them.

Deflecting is great against thrusts, but when it comes to cuts, you have to block or evade them.

Not necessarily, it's easier to do with vertical cuts and difficult to do with horizontal cuts, but you can stick to the side of his sword and guide it's movement with your own. I guess it's more redirecting as opposed to deflecting though.

Yes, but not all cuts come vertical or horizontal. If they did, sword fighting would be a lot easier. Many cuts are angled, in order to get to vital targets, like the neck, underarm, upwards through the kidneys or body in general. Easier to void or block these with a good cross.

• 1 month later...