• Straight Sword

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also need to define the type of sword more. Broad sword is generally known as a "two handed" sword, was about 6 feet long, and needed two hands to wield. Very heavy, and not very agile.

etc...

I believe you are, in actuality, referring to a greatsword. Trust me - I'm writing a book. :D :brow:

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

You also need to define the type of sword more. Broad sword is generally known as a "two handed" sword, was about 6 feet long, and needed two hands to wield. Very heavy, and not very agile.

etc...

I believe you are, in actuality, referring to a greatsword. Trust me - I'm writing a book. :D :brow:

Yes, I am. However, to the layperson, you say "great sword" and they go whaa? You say broadsword and at least a few more people will know what you are talking about.

Heh. I played D&D for years, and I also perform at Renaissance Faires. I see ALL the varieties coming through the gates at various festivals.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Has anyone ever lifted a broad sword? HEAVY! So, I can't really see that one being reasonable for any of us non-powerlifters :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

you say "great sword" and they go whaa?

You wouldn't believe how many people that have read my book and said, "Why do you keep calling their swords great?"

I also perform at Renaissance Faires.

You are officially awesome.

Ed Parker

Straight sword its the only one i know how to use and was taught when i did kung fu

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

Right now I only know the Jian. I have heard that both are great, but are used different ways.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• 1 month later...

straight sword.

more agile, and deceptive. not realy a matter of being good or not (skill does count, dont get me wrong), but more an issue of having faith in your style.

broadsword doesnt seem that heavy to me but i do prefer straight as i said before.

never had any trouble aginst katanas,bo's, or spears. i did have trouble aginst the twin hooks, naginata, and my own personal favorite the fans.

I see lots of references to the heaviness of broadswords. My dao weighs in at a "hefty" 1.5 pounds. Heavy? I think not.

Ed Parker

• 2 months later...

Yeah, i agree. A broadsword isn't really heavy, its just a bit wider than a straight sword, hence the name. I've studied both for a little and my personal favorite is the jian because its a bit faster and cuts on both sides, so it can cut an area twice if you do it really fast. Like slash with a reverse grip, twist low into a cross step, switch to your right and slash again as you twist more. (this is a step in the Dragon and Phoenix jian set)

Destined To Bring Light