• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lasting injuries from breaking?

Can you get lasting injuries from board breaking?

I ask because that's what worries me when I break. I'm small and have small, not-very-dense (according to my doctor) bones. (I am 44.) Even if I break correctly, am I in danger of a lasting injury? Not the usual bruises or scrapes that I usually get, but an injury to bone, joint, etc.

I ask because I broke a board with an elbow strike the other day--correctly--and a day afterwards, a black-and-blue knot appeared on my arm, near my wrist, probably where the board hit it as I broke through.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Can you get lasting injuries from board breaking?

I ask because that's what worries me when I break. I'm small and have small, not-very-dense (according to my doctor) bones. (I am 44.) Even if I break correctly, am I in danger of a lasting injury? Not the usual bruises or scrapes that I usually get, but an injury to bone, joint, etc.

I ask because I broke a board with an elbow strike the other day--correctly--and a day afterwards, a black-and-blue knot appeared on my arm, near my wrist, probably where the board hit it as I broke through.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Bruises happen. At 44, you run the risk of breaking a bone if you strike badly, but with a single pine board it would have to be a really bad strike. With the plastic rebreakable boards its more likely to happen.

However, you are probably more at risk from landing badly in a jump or something than you are during breaking.

If you bruise really easily, you might ask your doctor if there are vitamin supplements that will help with blood vessel elasticity.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

My concern with the impact forces of breaking are joint damage leading down the road to osteoarthritis. The bones of the hand weren't created for such stress even with conditioning.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Sohan--

This is one thing I feared, damage that might lead to osteoarthritis, especially with my hands, but also feet. I guess I worry about things like round house kicks where you use joints to break. I am also a dancer, so I want to take care of my feet.

I have made my concerns known to my teachers. I think they'll continue to challenge me but be aware of my limits.

Sohan--

This is one thing I feared, damage that might lead to osteoarthritis, especially with my hands, but also feet. I guess I worry about things like round house kicks where you use joints to break. I am also a dancer, so I want to take care of my feet.

I have made my concerns known to my teachers. I think they'll continue to challenge me but be aware of my limits.

It differs from person to person, but it takes a LOT of repetitive damage to wear down the cartilage to the point that you start getting/aggravating OA.

I'd be more worried about the dancing causing it in the knees, personally. :D Just watch your technique. If you are really worried about it, tape your hands or wear a sparring glove. It will make it slightly harder to break, but much easier on the hands.

As far as the feet, as long as you get your toes back, you should be fine. I don't have a lot of flexibility in my toes (Too many years of running cross country), so I break a toe once or twice a year on board breaks :kaioken:

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

Sohan--

It differs from person to person, but it takes a LOT of repetitive damage to wear down the cartilage to the point that you start getting/aggravating OA.

I'd be more worried about the dancing causing it in the knees, personally. :D Just watch your technique. If you are really worried about it, tape your hands or wear a sparring glove. It will make it slightly harder to break, but much easier on the hands.

As far as the feet, as long as you get your toes back, you should be fine. I don't have a lot of flexibility in my toes (Too many years of running cross country), so I break a toe once or twice a year on board breaks :kaioken:

Aodhan

Aodhan, actually it doesn't take that much damage to cause arthritis in later years. A one-time joint injury can be enough to cause lasting inflammation that triggers osteoarthritis, and the effects don't appear until years later. If taekwondomom is worried about joint injury, she is going to have to make some changes. But you're right, repetitive stress can also cause osteoarthritis as well.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

All injuries are - to differing degrees - debilitating. I would be very careful about breaking boards with your condition. Is it needed in your martial art to promote in rank? What does that mean to you? What does your health mean to you? While a single board, if held and broken correctly, probably won't cause you harm, I'm not about to speculate on what repeated breaks will do. I would also avoid breaking multiple boards/bricks/etc.

Best piece of advice? Talk to your doctor about it, and be honest with him.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

All injuries are - to differing degrees - debilitating. I would be very careful about breaking boards with your condition. Is it needed in your martial art to promote in rank? What does that mean to you? What does your health mean to you? While a single board, if held and broken correctly, probably won't cause you harm, I'm not about to speculate on what repeated breaks will do. I would also avoid breaking multiple boards/bricks/etc.

Best piece of advice? Talk to your doctor about it, and be honest with him.

Okay, I've got to know--where did your tagline come from? :)

With respect,

Sohan

I believe it's from "Space Ghost Coast to Coast", 199...4? 5?

Aodhan

I was British Demolition/Destruction Champion for 3 years and continued to do breaking demos and seminars for over 12 years. Last year I was diagnosed with arthritis in my two knuckles and have partially lost mobility in both joints and lost feeling across the

back of my hand. I will also have to take medication for the rest of my life for my condition.

I'm in the process of phasing out Breaking from my Syllabus, simply because of the long term effects and to honest, I really don't see the point to it any more.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"