• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2 year black belts?

great points people...although for some reason i cannot fathom attaining the mindset of what a black belt is supposed to have in 3 years. i.e having chi power, being cool in times of danger, and formost of all of these a blackbelt should be able to teach or mentor a student. teaching is not for everyone but everyone who is a blacbelt should be competent enough to teach anyone regardless of learning curves or disabilities without becoming angered or stressed. i hope this makes sense.

I don't have any chi power, and have been in for 13 years.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say that you enter into a non-ranking fighting system, like boxing. Now, if you practice for two years, should you be able to go fight? Because if you do, then you are going to gain some recognition; moreso if you win. Then people will begin to recognize you as having some skill and ability.

Is this any different than what a black belt in 2 years gains?

You make a good point. However, a boxer has fewer skills to master, and then these are repeated over and over again. Even the most basic martial arts style has many more forms and techniques to perform. Few people that I've met can fight after two years of traditional martial arts training as well as a boxer after the same period. The reason is the volume of training material. It just takes longer to really master and understand the principles for most people.

IMHO, of course. :)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

You make a good point. However, a boxer has fewer skills to master, and then these are repeated over and over again. Even the most basic martial arts style has many more forms and techniques to perform. Few people that I've met can fight after two years of traditional martial arts training as well as a boxer after the same period. The reason is the volume of training material. It just takes longer to really master and understand the principles for most people.

Are we talking about becoming a master or just a black belt? I think everyone will agree it takes many years to become a master. A black belt, on the other hand, is just beginning the journey to master.

great points people...although for some reason i cannot fathom attaining the mindset of what a black belt is supposed to have in 3 years. i.e having chi power, being cool in times of danger

Example: the US military can train some people to be lethal killing machines that are extremely cool under fire in a matter of a few months. It can be done.

Is "chi power" supposed to be a requirement of black belt?

formost of all of these a blackbelt should be able to teach or mentor a student. teaching is not for everyone but everyone who is a blacbelt should be competent enough to teach anyone regardless of learning curves or disabilities without becoming angered or stressed.

Being an instructor and being a black belt are two entirely different things. Many outstanding martial artists are terrible teachers.

i have been training for two and a half years and hope to reach black belt status at our december tests. probably won't happen that soon but it will be in under a year. when i was a 1st blue, i took the instructors course, did a 120 hours of intern, now have two schools that i teach. teaching is in you before you ever start martial arts. i am 1 of very few very lucky lower ranking instructors, but i don't consider myself a jr instructor because i have more on my plate than a lot of our bb instructors. i competed in every tourny i could make it to so far and i deliver very talented lower rank instructors. i have also had the privillage of instructing a black belt and he actually wanted my proffessional opinion. i think when my test comes around i will have earned it.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

so far and i deliver very talented lower rank instructors.

meant to say students

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

i myself am an instructor in my school and am very well respected..but i believe that if you can attain black belt you should be able to show lower ranking students and even higher ranking students how to do a technique correctly...no necessarily be a teacher that your born with not made into.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

Are we talking about becoming a master or just a black belt? I think everyone will agree it takes many years to become a master. A black belt, on the other hand, is just beginning the journey to master.

A black belt is expected to have a certain level of mastery of the basics of their art. This is very different from a martial arts master, one who should have mastery of all aspects of their art. This is where rather than putting so much emphasis on belt level, we should instead be asking how long one has trained at their art. Even more accurate should be how many hours has one trained.

I would expect a black belt to be able to handle him/herself well in a fight against a strong opponent. Unfortunately many of the black belts I have personally sparred with who have gotten their belts in a very short time just aren't that skilled--or perhaps the better word is, seasoned.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

It has been done by some highly respected individuals who eventually reach master levels (in 18 months). My point is...it can and has been done :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

very good point sohan...i too have encountered such blackbelts that aren's seasoned very well at all...ive sparred them and have beaten them as a brown belt who has been doing tae kwon do for 3 years at four days a week and a am in now way capable of passing a black belt test in my school or even in friends' schools.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.

Let me use an example. Harold Long, Isshinryu, (and a few others I might add) received their black belt in 18 months as stated in their bios. In his perticualar case, being in the military and having military training (and also being of a military mind for protecting ones self) from what I understand spared quite well before he started martial arts (probably). From that point it was a matter of learning technique, kata and control of his mind, body and spirit.

My understanding is that there are a number of people who received BB in Japan or on Okinawa in 2 years or less.

Respectfully to all..

:)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt