• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2 year black belts?

Everyone has made good points. But I think that if the person has truly learned what they need to learn and they have the right attitude, and they of course pass testing requirements, then they should become a balck belt. I became a black belt when I was 10 years old. It took me about 2.5 years to get my first dan. Like Heather Smyth said, I don't get special treatment because I'm young. If they're/you're not ready to have the belt, then you should wait to give/recieve a black belt. But if the person is ready, then they shouldn't be denied the great opportunity.

>Britt

Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

Tae- Foot Technique

Kwon- Hand Technique

Do-The way

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this whole debate really lays on what you consider a black belt as. I can go buy 500 black belts and hand them out to whoever and there you go, black belts. Black belt is more of an emotional and physcological shift towards self betterment. If it takes 2 years for someone to better themselfs then they are a black belt. It might take 30 years. I know some people say- well you cant be a black belt unless you can beat up someone, or break 40 boards. Who cares about wood. My feeling is that black belt is an attitude. You can be a black belt while only achieving an orange belt. Just my 2 cents

I saw in the website for ITF TKD that the mininal year for some one to get a white belt is 1month... BB is 2years..

But yeah it just depends on the person, how determind he is and such and the dojo.. Its not like they PROMISE you a BB in 2 years psh.. *Unless they will come to your house and work with you if you have problems.. *

• 3 weeks later...

hmm...im 14 and i started taking tkd when i was 11 and i got my 1st dan when i was 13 and im testing for my 2nd dan exactly 1 year after the 1st (this october)

so three years to get to bb and 1 year between 1st and 2nd dans and 2 between 2nd and 3rd and 3 between 3rd and 4th and so on

A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step.

I saw in the website for ITF TKD that the mininal year for some one to get a white belt is 1month... BB is 2years..

But yeah it just depends on the person, how determind he is and such and the dojo.. Its not like they PROMISE you a BB in 2 years psh.. *Unless they will come to your house and work with you if you have problems.. *

Huh. And nobody bashes ITF for stuff the way they bash the ATA.

I took a look at the ITF site, and as near as I can tell, the ONLY difference between ITF requirements and ATA requirements is ATA time between 1st and 2nd is 14 months instead of 18. (You test for 2nd recommended at 12 months, then 2 months before you can test for decided). EVERYthing else is the same down the line.

I also notice that the ITF is requiring attendance at instructor clinics to keep their instructor plaque, and they are developing specific programs for children, adults and seniors, all stuff the ATA does.

Guess the grass isn't always browner on the other side...

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

well i believe it should take from 5 to seven years to achive first dan. and yes this will be hard to settle because everyones view on the issue is different. i just want people to express their views on the issue and talk about it. theres no real answer to this issue and there will never be. just leave your point of view.

And, it's been beaten to death in several threads already. However, it all goes back to the basic question: What makes a black belt?

Forms? I could teach a receptive student all the forms needed inside of 6 months.

Sparring? I can teach someone a competent level of sparring in 3-6 months.

"Street" fighting? Again, 3-6 months to achieve a level of self defense that would be sufficient against 90% of attackers.

Weapons? Why would you need them? Unless you are in the habit of carrying an escrima stick around you pretty much won't have them in a fight.

Ok, so lets look at hours. How many hours to get to a black belt level? That's going to be different for everyone. You give me a natural athlete, with 1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week I could get him to a competent black belt level in 8-12 months.

Also, you need to look at how much someone trains. Take someone that comes in for classes 4 times a week at 1.5 hrs per class, and practices another 10 at home. 16 hours per week x 52 weeks x 2 years is 1664 hours. Is that enough? Should it be more? Less?

It all comes down to the individual, how much they train, and how athletically inclined they are. Some are more than ready after 2 years, some won't be ready for 10.

Black belt is a state of mind as much as it is a physical capability, and any time frame is purely arbitrary. It's up to the instructor to make the determination and promote according to who is ready.

Aodhan

That says it right there.

In our system we train for a minimum of 2.5 - 3 years in order to get to the brown belts. Then you train for one year, then test for Shodan.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Fortunately, time and training requirements for the black belt rank are not set by most of us, but rather people who have a much deeper understanding of their arts. I am a 3rd degree black belt, but i don't feel that I'm qualified to make such a determination or criticize another group for their requirements.

My organization's national board of review (all 6th degree and above masters) sets the standards, and I don't think it's my place to second guess them. If your art has a legitimate governing body with qualified masters setting the requirements, I say the that should be good enough. Who am I to say that's not good enough or not long enough?