• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo Instructor beginning Jiu Jitsu

I think some of you may have misinterpreted me. I would never dream of wearing my black belt to class - I was just talking about when I first came to class. They do private lessons just you and the instructor before you begin classes - that's what I was wondering about.

I'm just going to buy a white belt and make sure the instructor knows I've had previous experience, but that I'm not there to challenge anything.

You may not think about wearing your black belt to the class, but the instructor may want you to. You never know, he might, or might not.

Never hurts to be prepared.

No BJJ black belt would want you to wear your black belt if you are training in BJJ under him/her. It doesn't matter if it's private or not.

Keep this as a rule of thumb, if you are training in another style always wear a white belt unless the instructor tells you otherwise. Don't even ask, just do it.(kohai101)

I hate to say it but it takes the average person a decade to get to 1st Dan in BJJ...the belts mean more in BJJ then it does in at least 95% of Karate/kenpo/tkd/etc., or at least they do now. You wearing a shodan that may have took you 4-5 years to get when a white belt can probably tap you out is a huge insult to a bjj instructor. Many BJJ players disrespect Karate unless they also have a Karate background but even then a lot of them totally quit Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I hear what you're saying, and agree.

Just wanted to point out that it took me a decade to get my black belt, too, so, to quote the ever-eloquent knights from Monty Python, nih.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

A grappler could make a striker tap, whether he is a white belt or not. However, a white belt could knock out a black belt in jui-jitsu as well.

Just because the system of grappling (BJJ, is suppose it is) takes 10 years to get to black belt does not mean that the skill of a black belt in another style is less.

In my opinion, and this based on the fact that I have never been a good wrestler, it takes more time to develop the skill necessary to develop all of the joint locks, holds, traps, chokes, reversals, etc., then it does for strikers to develop their punches and kicking skills. This is just the nature of the beast. I could be wrong, but this is my experience.

I have wrestled with people before, and they can pin me, tap me out, etc., but the fact of the matter is that when I have done this, it has been under the understanding that we can wrestle, and I can lose, but neither one is hurt in the end. Now, if I decided to strike, and make noses bleed, etc, it changes the way things look. Maybe it is my mistake that I never hit anybody hard or square with a strike or kick when grappling, but this has been my experiece.

Just because a BJJer taps out a black belt, you can't read too much into it. The grappler says oh, lets grapple, and see who is better. Then change the game to striking, and see what goes.

My thoughts exactly...though I'm not a half bad grappler myself, and I have done a lot of training with joint locks, etc. They didn't used to call it Kenpo Jujitsu for nothing...

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker