• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kenpo Instructor beginning Jiu Jitsu

In a few weeks or possibly even days, I will begin taking Jiu Jitsu at a Jiu Jitsu academy where I live. There are really only three decent martial arts schools in our city - my instructor's, a kung fu school, and this academy.

My question is, when I go to start my lessons, should I wear my black belt, or just go with my gi. Once I get into the actual classes, I certainly plan to wear a white gi and white belt, but until I am in the classes, what should I wear?

I realize that this may be better suited for the "Getting Started in the Martial Arts" forum, but what I'm really asking is about instructor to instructor politics. I do not want to insult the Professor at the new school by either wearing or not wearing my belt.

PS. My instructor reccomended that I begin taking lessons from the new dojo as a supplement - so that's not an issue.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know this may sound simplistic, but can you just ask? I'm sure the instructor would appreciate your professionalism and courtesy by your asking the correct protocol.

My gut says go white belt unless offered the opportunity to go otherwise. Empty the cup, so to speak.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I would show up in street clothes, with the black belt, white belt, and gi in a gym bag, and then ask the instructor and go from their. He may want to introduce you to the class, letting everyone else know that you are of rank in a different style. He may ask that his students show you the respect deserving of a black belt/instructor, and also suggest that they be supportive in your pursuit to expand your horizons.

That sounds good to me. I felt really stupid after I asked this question - I suppose I could just ask. Nobody will be offended by that.

I guess I'll need to buy a new white belt. Mine's a size 000 - I was six. :D

Ed Parker

That sounds good to me. I felt really stupid after I asked this question - I suppose I could just ask. Nobody will be offended by that.

I guess I'll need to buy a new white belt. Mine's a size 000 - I was six. :D

The gym bag is a good one. Take street clothes, workout clothes and your gi. (For jiu jitsu you are going to want a heavyweight, durable gi anyway, since you will be pulling and tugging on the gi, and using it in some chokes.)

Then just ask what you need to wear. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Good point. You may want to get a heavyweight or judo weave if you're going to start rolling.

Of course asking before you get there is a preferred strategy... :lol:

Let us know how it goes.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I would show up in street clothes, with the black belt, white belt, and gi in a gym bag, and then ask the instructor and go from their. He may want to introduce you to the class, letting everyone else know that you are of rank in a different style. He may ask that his students show you the respect deserving of a black belt/instructor, and also suggest that they be supportive in your pursuit to expand your horizons.

I would not wear my black belt, nor would I ask to, partially for what is mentioned here.

1. you are a new student - as sohan said, empty the cup.

2. IME, you will be respected more by not advertising that you are a black belt in something else.

3. if students give you the respect deserving of an instructor, a few things may happen:

- people who have been at the jj school longer than you may resent you

- people working with you in drills make give to the technique more, because you are supposed to be able to make it work. Similar to the way people tend to give for their own instructor.

- it may introduce other questions from students, like "how would your style handle this" which takes away from class time.

I would tell the instructor about my rank, but would not inform the class.

I recently attended a BJJ school as a new student. Since I had no previous instruction in BJJ, I spent $5 on a new white belt and just told the Instructor of my previous experience. I made sure that he understood that I wasn’t there to challenge or anything, simply to learn more about a different style. He completely understood, probably because he too was a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do.

I agree that you should ask the Instructor, but don’t assume that wearing your black belt is okay. I wouldn’t even suggest it; merely mention that you have one and that you are willing to wear a white belt.

Good luck.

I think some of you may have misinterpreted me. I would never dream of wearing my black belt to class - I was just talking about when I first came to class. They do private lessons just you and the instructor before you begin classes - that's what I was wondering about.

I'm just going to buy a white belt and make sure the instructor knows I've had previous experience, but that I'm not there to challenge anything.

Ed Parker

I think some of you may have misinterpreted me. I would never dream of wearing my black belt to class - I was just talking about when I first came to class. They do private lessons just you and the instructor before you begin classes - that's what I was wondering about.

I'm just going to buy a white belt and make sure the instructor knows I've had previous experience, but that I'm not there to challenge anything.

You may not think about wearing your black belt to the class, but the instructor may want you to. You never know, he might, or might not.

Never hurts to be prepared.