• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Combat Hapkido - John Pellegrini System

I am in the process of trying to decide between traditional Hapkido and "Combat" Hapkido as taught under the Pellegrini system and the International Combat Hapkido Federation. Before I commit, I would be interested in some comments from those who have experiences (pros and cons) to share.

Thanks for your comments.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With Pellegrini's "Combat Hapkido" you will definitely hear one way or another. Either they love it or hate it.

Probably more important than what people think about a style is what are you looking to get out of training in Hapkido?

Pellegrini says that he took out all of the unnecessary stuff from Traditional Hapkido and has left just the most realistic techniques.

Traditionalists say that if a person takes out all of the other training that is incorporated with Hapkido, you will lose part of what makes it so effective and it will no longer be Hapkido.

Here is the Combat Hapkido Website...

http://www.ichf.com

Whatever you do, have fun with it.

Take care. :smile:

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Probably everyone has different opinions about which one is better, so me thinks you should just go to both the combat and traditional dojang and watch the classes to see which class you like more. :smile:

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

On 2002-04-20 21:30, karatekid1975 wrote:

Chris, doesn't he have a video series out, too? I think I remember looking it up, but the vids were way expensive.

I haven't seen them myself, but others have said they weren't worth the money. I would still like to check them out either way. Just so I know for myself.

Take care. :smile:

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

I must say that I have tried Grandmaster Pellegrini's system of Combat Hapkido, and find that it is a superb system. It incorporates the best elements of traditional Hapkido without all the katas. It's effects are devestating. Without reservation I can highly recommend this system to anyone who is serious about learning the art of self-defense. :) Edited by Billy Jack

With the description you gave, I would choose the traditional Hapkido. Then again, since I study Kuk Sool Won, I might be a little bias toward the traditional Hapkido. :bigwink:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 3 months later...

Billy Jack

I am a 1st Dan in trditional Sin Moo Hap Ki Do under 9th dan GrandMaster J.B. Lee. I have checked up on the Combat HKD style myself. It isn't a bad style. But its not for me. There is so much in traditional hapkido that is effective and applicable reguardless of wether it is Judo defenses or whatever. Com. HKD takes these theings out becouse they feel it is unessecary. Not exactly true. There is a time and a place for all techniques. If a Com. HKD and Trad. HKD fighter who are matched in all abilities and skill level square off then who do you think would win. Probebly the person who knows more. It doesn't hurt to know the extra techniques. But don't judge all Com. HKD by one laxidaisy school. Remember its root is in one of the most destructive combat arts in existance. Good luck.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!