• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about a teacher

you have to reallize that she probably has a family to provide for, and dojang rent isn't cheap either.

she sounds like a good instructor to me. i think requiring private sessions is a great idea. it allows a bond between teacher and student and it lets her know if you understand what and how she teaches

I think the issue I have with private sessions is that if her and her instructors' teaching is of a high quality, they shouldn't need so many private sessions. It seems to be more a moneymaker than something that is in the best interests of the students.

I think you get a free headband for every three private sessions you purchase. :D

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I did some research on her awards and was able to confirm a lot of them. She is a terrific business person who is very well documented. I am not questioning her MA abilities. I can't find anything to confirm her MA background but that doesn't mean anything either I suppose. Most of the information that I have found lists her MA grandmastership but, more than likely they are writing down what she told them.

If anyone is interested and in her area watching a class might help. But then it might not.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I think the issue I have with private sessions is that if her and her instructors' teaching is of a high quality, they shouldn't need so many private sessions. It seems to be more a moneymaker than something that is in the best interests of the students.

Maybe her teaching is high quality but her standards are so high that private lessons are needed in addition to group classes in order to pass the tests. Seriously, she is up front about the private sessions, so maybe it's just how her system works. Private lessons can be useful, and group classes are useful. What's bad about a hybrid system that relies on both?

I think the issue I have with private sessions is that if her and her instructors' teaching is of a high quality, they shouldn't need so many private sessions.

Most of my spare time - when not running my Academy - is taken up by Private Lessons. 90% of those taking Private Lessons aren't my regular students, they are 'ordinary - off the street' people who wish to learn certain aspects, modules, parts, techniques, strategies, etc, etc, but mainly Self-Defence. These sort of people range from school teachers to Security Guards, Door Supervisors (Bouncers) to Police Officers, etc, etc. They come from all walks of life, some experienced (already do another MA), some not.

Also, I have a number of Police Officers, Paramedics, Fire-fighters, Nurses, etc, who do shift work and cannot attend classes on regular basis. Most of them have Private Lessons to maintain their momentum within my Acadamys Grding Syllabus. If they're willing to pay (and I don't come cheap!), then I'm willing to give up my spare time (whatever that is!) and offer Private Lessons. It works both ways.

I think you get a free headband for every three private sessions you purchase.

I think I'll skip on that idea though! :D :D :D

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

Well, good luck to her is all I can say.

It is obviously a martial arts business and business is clearly the important thing at that school, but what's wrong with that? Too often people in MA seem to think that because a school is earning money it goes against MA principles. Yes, it is noble and honourable to teach for free, but that doesn't put food on the table.

At least this website is honest, albeit with marketing 'spin, and says that they recommend private lessons in addition to classes.

The place doesn't look like it's my kind of thing, but that doesn't automatically mean it is bad.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Maybe her teaching is high quality but her standards are so high that private lessons are needed in addition to group classes in order to pass the tests. Seriously, she is up front about the private sessions, so maybe it's just how her system works. Private lessons can be useful, and group classes are useful. What's bad about a hybrid system that relies on both?

It's hard for me to be too judgemental, because as a personal trainer, private sessions are how I myself make a living. But my concern is exactly the fact that she is encouraging private sessions upfront, when in my opinion the class participation should be the main focus, not the one on one sessions, and that the private sessions should be recommended based on need, not mandated as a regular monthly obligation.

I completely agree with you and DCMS that private sessions are necessary for some and at the same time are an excellent revenue generator for a school. Maybe I it strikes me as something that could be easily abused for monetary gain at the expense of the students' best interests.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

Any dojo should be investigated to see if it is legit or not. There should be some kind of TKD federation registry. Also, if there are investigations of cult-like behavior and rumors it is not truely a school, one should not train there all the time and have interest in other schools as well. You should not make a valid decision before both being experienced with her modus opperandi and other resources.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

Any dojo should be investigated to see if it is legit or not. There should be some kind of TKD federation registry. Also, if there are investigations of cult-like behavior and rumors it is not truely a school, one should not train there all the time and have interest in other schools as well. You should not make a valid decision before both being experienced with her modus opperandi and other resources.

Absolutely. Kind of like buying a car. You won't know how it really operates until you peek under the hood and take it for a test drive.

With respect,

Sohan

I think he has a really good idea on the car. But yet, I think martial arts instruction is so competitive anyway that in a town like San Jose there would be many options availible.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"