• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting Bob Sapp

If Bob Sapp has a chance to get his mitts on you, you're pretty much pounded dog meat. Talk about freakish strength. As has been pointed out, Sapp is not invincible. From the fights I've seen, he likes to use his size to intimidate the opponent-who wouldn't be intimidated. If you can avoid the bum-rush and haymakers, you might stand a chance. Land a few shots to his face-he doesn't like getting popped in the nose and eyes, and if you don't totally enrage him, you might last till the bell is rung.

I saw a great fight between Sapp and Remy Bonjaski (sp?). Bonjaski scored some nice shots to Sapps head that had Sapp whining like a school girl. Then Sapp got real mad, slammed his opponent to the mat and beat him senseless. Sapp was DQ'd.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bob Sapp has a chance to get his mitts on you, you're pretty much pounded dog meat. Talk about freakish strength. As has been pointed out, Sapp is not invincible. From the fights I've seen, he likes to use his size to intimidate the opponent-who wouldn't be intimidated. If you can avoid the bum-rush and haymakers, you might stand a chance. Land a few shots to his face-he doesn't like getting popped in the nose and eyes, and if you don't totally enrage him, you might last till the bell is rung.

I saw a great fight between Sapp and Remy Bonjaski (sp?). Bonjaski scored some nice shots to Sapps head that had Sapp whining like a school girl. Then Sapp got real mad, slammed his opponent to the mat and beat him senseless. Sapp was DQ'd.

Must have been kickboxing?

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Sapp has freakish strength because he's on steroids. Lots and lots of them. Accounts for his temper, as well. Didn't seem to help him much in the NFL, though.

I hadn't really watched much of his fighting before, so I decided to download all his fights and really watch him in action. I was appalled. I also read a few accounts of his "career" thus far, and he appears to be more hype than reality.

Watch Mike Tyson at his best and then watch a Sapp fight. Sapp wouldn't last two rounds against a 22 year old Tyson--and that's considering the fact that Tyson had trouble against tall men. He's slow, clumsy, and his strategy is nothing more than haymakers and an occasional molasses kick.

You're right about his eyes and nose, though---he doesn't seem to like that at all. :) He also has a weak chin and ab area. I think a good big guy with a strong Thai kick and a nice jab would chop Goliath down fairly easily. Put him in competition without his personal referee with someone who enforces the rules (Big John would do great!), take away his steroids, and give him a real fighter to go against, and Sapp would be back working at a carwash within a week.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Bob Sapp fights regularly in K-1 in Japan, where he's also a minor celebrity. He epitomizes the brute strength over skill paradigm.

The Japanese have always held a fascination for American strongmen, particular African-Americans. They don't really seem to care if it's steroid-induced or not.

Check out this video of Sapp in a Japanese TV commerical. It's pretty funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nj2RPyR0FQ&search=bob%20sapp

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

I would like to see Sapp fight a heavyweight boxer. One of the top tier ones. He does not seem to move very well.

By the way, Sohan, funny commercial :)

Did you see him in The Longest Yard? He is a specimen. I had not heard he used steroids. Is that confirmed?

Bob Sapp is notorious for having terrible cardiovascular conditioning (vs Nogueira being a good example) as well has being susceptible to body punches (When he fought hoost, he went down instantly with a body hook). Possibly the best strategy is to just circle, keep him at a distance, and throw body kicks and punches, ala Crocop.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Did you see him in The Longest Yard? He is a specimen. I had not heard he used steroids. Is that confirmed?

I hadn't seen the Longest Yard--I'm somewhat partial to the original. 8)

But his drug test failure is indeed true. He was cut by the Vikings because of it. Here's an artivle about him:

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGA57V42SID.html

With respect,

Sohan

• 2 weeks later...

He's an absolute monster. But there's always a way. He's not invincible.

-Ray

-Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body.

-It's Not The Size Of The Dog In The Fight, But The Size Of The Fight In The Dog.