• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting Bob Sapp

I just watched a Pride Fighting program on FSN earlier this evening. Bob Sapp beat the snot out of some poor sap (no pun intended).

How would you fight this guy? He took leg kicks, and walked through them. He took face punches, and smirked at the guy. Would you try to take him down?

The other thing is this; he really doesn't seem to have a lot of formal training. In the K-1 matches I have seen, he just slugs away. He was listed at 6'5", 375, but I have heard 6'8", and 385.

Just want to know what your opinions are.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run the Boston Marathon twice. I believe those skills would be useful against him. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I've run the Boston Marathon twice. I believe those skills would be useful against him. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

I bet he's quicker in a dead run than he looks, being former NFL and all.

Excluding weapons? Well, against really big guys I'm most comfortable working from the guard, but with Sapp's GandP plus his size (over twice mine) I'm pretty much screwed no matter what I do.

I seriously doubt there is a single person on these forums who could last more than a minute against Sapp.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I bet he's quicker in a dead run than he looks, being former NFL and all.

Only for 20-30 yards. After that, if he hasn't caught me, I'm gone. 8)

I seriously doubt there is a single person on these forums who could last more than a minute against Sapp.

Careful, absolutes are a dangerous thing. I would never assume that. Everyone can be beaten, and it wouldn't surprise me who lurks on this forum.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

In the ring, with rules, screw that. On the street, if I had to, I would kick his knees, gouge his eyes, or go for his throat. No way am I going to dance with a guy like that.

wait wait wait, we have to exclude weapons?

Okay, my brother taught me this technique. Get him into a clinch, and right away, bight his ear, cheek, or nipple, and squeeze his balls. If he tries to resist one, go harder on the other!

Okay, that is, if he doesn't punt me into a wall

In the ring, with rules, screw that. On the street, if I had to, I would kick his knees, gouge his eyes, or go for his throat. No way am I going to dance with a guy like that.

Hmm, I have sharp pointy little things that don't ask what size and weight someone is. They're quite effective at reducing street conflict.

At 6' 190, I wouldn't be foolish enough to meet him in a ring. My last name isn't Gracie.

Respectfully,

Sohan

Oh, he's certainly beatable. He's probaly not even top 10 in pride, and the UFC's top heavyweights would probably be able to take him.

But (excluding weapons) unless we have a load of UFC and Pride fighters lurking the boards, I feel pretty safe saying no one here could take Sapp.

Seriously, do you think he would care if you kicked him in the knee or bit him? He'd swat you away like a fly.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Oh, he's certainly beatable. He's probaly not even top 10 in pride, and the UFC's top heavyweights would probably be able to take him.

But (excluding weapons) unless we have a load of UFC and Pride fighters lurking the boards, I feel pretty safe saying no one here could take Sapp.

Seriously, do you think he would care if you kicked him in the knee or bit him? He'd swat you away like a fly.

Actually there are a couple fighters here with UFC experience from what I understand. None of them named Fred Ettish.

And remember, a good martial artist could likely abuse parts of him he didn't even know he had. His size and strength makes for a formidable advantage, but it's not everything.

He's still quite a specimen, though. Wouldn't want to take my chances if I didn't have to.

Respectfully,

Sohan