• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate: slowed down Kung Fu?

Hart

Just thinking...maybe Kung Fu is sped up karate?? :D

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After trying to keep up in Hung Gar last night, I'm inclined to agree with that.

:)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I have this discussion with a friend ALL the time. Not specifically about karate/kung fu but what style derives from what.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Yeah I have listened to some of those discussions. The way I mainly look at it is Kung Fu = chinese disciplines and Karate = japanese/okinawan influence. I am sure there is a in between realm where they have been mixed (shaolin kempo) but in reality its essentially all the same roots.

Does anyone find hostility between styles? I have friends who study shotokan and some who do kung fu. They will argue the t**s that their style is the most efficient. most deadly blah blah. It seems silly to me when they are basically all derived from the same purposes?

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Does anyone find hostility between styles? I have friends who study shotokan and some who do kung fu. They will argue the t**s that their style is the most efficient. most deadly blah blah. It seems silly to me when they are basically all derived from the same purposes?

Sure, but parents and children don't always see eye to eye, so why shouldn't there be a little friction between karate and gung fu practitioners? Peace and harmony is a great concept, but we're still only human. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

There are many paths to the way. Each only one path. People like believing that theirs is the strongest, biggest, most deadly most this and most that. It is an issue of pride. I have a dollar and you have four quarters. Same thing :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

There are many paths to the way. Each only one path. People like believing that theirs is the strongest, biggest, most deadly most this and most that. It is an issue of pride. I have a dollar and you have four quarters. Same thing :)

I really like the way you express your thoughts, patusai.

With respect,

Sohan

I thought it was commonly accepted that karate followed on from kung fu. The very word "karate" which is now taken to mean "empty hand" (kara te), originally came from the Okinawan pronounciation of the word "kara" meaning "chinese", i.e. "chinese hand".

As Patusai said, everyone wants to think their style is the best - plain cognitive dissonance - but in reality, I would imagine they are all fairly much the same with regards effectiveness.

I'm often asked by my none MA practicing friends who I think would win in a fight between a kung fu master and a karate master. I answer simply that they would not have cause to engage each other.

"I'm often asked by my none MA practicing friends who I think would win in a fight between a kung fu master and a karate master. I answer simply that they would not have cause to engage each other."

mizu, You are very wise.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.