• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Free your mind and dont care about belts

Shadow90

I like the belt grading system I believe it inspires a feeling of accomplishment, and if handled right is extremely beneficial.

you have to look at the benefit of ranking. Now, some schools will not produce equivalent skill levels for a belt. I personally blame that on the style you are training in. you will not see that in bjj nearly as much as you do in other styles. they base their ranking on performance against your peers, not solely on a list of what you know in a curriculum.

I think a dojo without a ranking system is ludicrous. Just my opinion though.

Nah. Ranking is actually fairly new in the MA. back in the old days, they wither wore white belts or nothing at all. To this day, there are still several kung fu schools that don't issue rank. My second karate teacher grew up in japan. He only gave three ranks - white, brown and black. so, you would go several years before receiving any rank at all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. Ranking is actually fairly new in the MA. back in the old days, they wither wore white belts or nothing at all.

Back in the old, old days they trained with the thought that they may have to use it to defend themselves on a regular basis too. Of course we are not in that situation.

While ranking is fairly new to Martial arts, its been present since before I was born, so why am I going to buck things and go back to the "old ways?" Sometimes change happens, and believe it or not, sometimes it is for the better.

These are two changes I am happy about...I like the belt system, and I like the fact that I have only had to truly defend myself once in the 17 years I have been involved in karate.

I also believe that rank is not as important as some make out. However not only is it a sign of your commitment to your art, its also a good incentive to kids coming up the ranks. A bit of friendly competition never hurts.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

they base their ranking on performance against your peers, not solely on a list of what you know in a curriculum.

Sounds kinda unfriendly to the aging student.

I also believe that rank is not as important as some make out. However not only is it a sign of your commitment to your art, its also a good incentive to kids coming up the ranks. A bit of friendly competition never hurts.

This is certainly true. Sadly, in Isshinryu, there is an abundance of high ranking black belts that have been promoted way too quickly. Since there is no guideline to promotion that anyone is willing to follow we have people handing out rank like candy.

Ranks from white to black are very good to inspire friendly competition among kids and to inspire a sense of accomplishment. If you are from a school, or run a school where there are no belts, then you are missing the excitement on a kids face when they successfully test for a new rank. That is one of the best things about being a teacher in my opinion.

Definitely. And on a more superficial note, it helps the parents of the kids who train feel like they are getting something back. I know thats not what MA is about but sometimes the parents need a little persuasion that what they are paying for is worth it.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I think a dojo without a ranking system is ludicrous. Just my opinion though.

Then I guess my dojo is ludicrous. There is no rank other than sempai-ship. The dai-sempai is the guy who has been continuously training the longest (30 years).

Having gone from a ranking system (reaching shodan) to one where there is no rank, I prefer the system without rank. My instructor stopped wearing his belt 20 years ago (long story) and has not given out rank since then. His students who still train with him gave up their belts as well. It is actually quite liberating on both a conscious and subsconscious level when we're all equals - my instructor says, "We're all just a bunch of guys who really love karate and like working out together. I've been training longer, so if you want, I'll show you what I've learned." It's a simple, realistic philosophy, and my training and growth have jumped leaps and bounds since adopting his idea and working with him to become better at karate.

Needless to say, we don't have small children in my class, nor do we attract younger people. I'm the youngest student (at 24), and the average age of these guys is mid-50's, and their average training duration is between 15-30 years. We are not part of any large martial arts organization; my instructor struck out on his own after his teacher passed away in 1969. I'm not sure how well our system would work with a younger, more impetuous demographic, or if we were under a large organization.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

I do like the ranking system, it makes it easier to organize and teach many different level students in a school. Each school is individualized though. Just because one school chooses to promote students through their stlye with colored belt system, does not make them better or worse than the school who does not>>>right? Isn't it more important that one is training in MA and trying to better themselves.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

And a ranking system does have the advantage of providing a clearly defined syllabus of techniques, kata etc that must be acquired before progressing to the next belt. I find this helps me to measure my progress in a way that's realistic.

A lot must depend on the integrity of the senseis in a particular school to ensure that people are only put forward for grading when they are ready, and they only pass if they can demonstrate that they have acquired the required techniques. In our school, for example, I think my own Sensei wants to move us through the ranks quite quickly, but we have to be tested in front of other senseis and the chief instructor and they won't pass people if they're not ready.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

And a ranking system does have the advantage of providing a clearly defined syllabus of techniques, kata etc that must be acquired before progressing to the next belt. .

Thats exactly how our club works. I think as we have a lot of kids in our dojo, they feel that working up the ranks is rewarding and helps them learn how to attain difficult goals and set new ones for themselves.

Karate Ni Sentinashi