Wow! Near perfect kata (video)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an opinion on this, For those people who dislike what she and others like her are doing. While alot of people enjoy real fighting/sparring and prefer a more traditional view of kata, they are still working hard at their own sport. From what you can see she is definately not pursuing a fighting career in MA or looking for self defense. She is a competitor and or that I dont think we should trash her

I don't think anybody's trashing her nor do I think anyone dislikes her performance. Rather, we're just pointing out that what she's doing isn't really martial arts, but really a movement art related to martial arts.

Her hard work and skill is duly noted here. But for fighting application, it's not really martial in nature.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Sorry, but I am not a fan of forms like that. However she is very athletic. Not much different than the floor exercise that Olympic gymnasts do.

In a week, I will be performing a twin broadsword wushu kata with very similar moves and overall theme. Let me tell you - that stuff is hard! Granted, if I were ever in a fight, I would probably not use the vast majority of the moves, but, nevertheless, once I had my opponent reeling from my Kenpo, you better believe I would throw a 720 inward crescent to his face.

BTW, this tournament will most likely be vengeance for those of you opposed to this sort of thing - I will be against hardstylists and other Kenpoist, in front of hardstyle and Kenpo judges. I don't expect to win. But I'm going to look good while I lose. :D

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

BTW, this tournament will most likely be vengeance for those of you opposed to this sort of thing - I will be against hardstylists and other Kenpoist, in front of hardstyle and Kenpo judges. I don't expect to win. But I'm going to look good while I lose. :D

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I'd rather look bad and win.

But seriously, good luck in your tournament. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Hmmm, >>>flashy>>>nontraditional>>>acrobatic>>>no power in her technique>>>reason I quit going to "traditional" tournaments.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Hmmm, >>>flashy>>>nontraditional>>>acrobatic>>>no power in her technique>>>reason I quit going to "traditional" tournaments.

Just enter the traditional kata divisions. They don't have the XMA flash that everyone seems to find so odious.

I find it interesting that nobody ever said "boo" to the open divisions previously. It's only since Mike Chat brought out the XMA name that people started screaming.

The open forms with the flash kicks, etc. has been like that for 15 or more years. I remember going to a Diamond Nationals, and watching a kid do multiple side kicks above his head across the ring. Speed, height, not much power. Same difference.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Therefore even IF you just look at the Wushu fighter's punches, they didn't really phase any of them at all. They defend and sure enough punches do get through but those punches don't knock you out due to your conditioning. Those Wushu guys have NO power whatsoever behind those punches. It's all form no function.

Pain leads the mind. The Karateka were hurting the Wushu practitioners so they stopped thinking attack & just defended. It was only a matter of time before one of those kicks landed. It was clearly obvious the Wushu practitioners lacked power to their strikes. The Wushu practitioners weren't accustomed to dealing with full contact strikes.

Function over Flash any day.

That's exactly what was stripped away from Wushu. It's a standardized performance based art like gymnastics or figure skating.

I agree fully here. It's one thing to throw together some flips and an occasional low power kick. It's another to actually perform a beautiful kata that takes years of hard work.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

I have an opinion on this, For those people who dislike what she and others like her are doing. While alot of people enjoy real fighting/sparring and prefer a more traditional view of kata, they are still working hard at their own sport. From what you can see she is definately not pursuing a fighting career in MA or looking for self defense. She is a competitor and or that I dont think we should trash her

I don't think anybody's trashing her nor do I think anyone dislikes her performance. Rather, we're just pointing out that what she's doing isn't really martial arts, but really a movement art related to martial arts.

Her hard work and skill is duly noted here. But for fighting application, it's not really martial in nature.

Respectfully,

Sohan

I see your point and it does make sense. I understand that it does not exactly fall under the word "martial." I am also not a fan of flashy kicks and stunts. They can promote good physical health and stamina but that's it.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!