• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow! Near perfect kata (video)

Effectiveness vs. Flashiness

Kyokushin vs. Drunken Kung Fu

XMA is all flash. There is nothing effective about doing a windmill to knock out your opponent. And I will say the same about wushu as well.

BTW Too bad Sandra Hess isn't pretty in the face, if she was she'd have a wonderful career in Holywood. The next female Van Damne?

Again, I'm not disputing the flashiness of XMA, and I doubt that 99% of XMA practitioners would be attempting a 720 kick in a real fight. As far as the video, I'm sure there is a similar video where the other side wins. Just because you can find a video where a martial artist loses, doesn't mean that his art is automatically bad.

Wushu has been an effective martial art for much longer than many other arts. I've never sparred a wushu practitioner, so I couldn't say how effective it is. Again, in a fight though, you aren't going to be attempting the flash, you will be using the basics.

Don't condemn the XMA people just because they choose to compete in that venue. Every single high level XMA competitor that I've ever met/talked with has been an excellent traditional MA as well.

It all goes back to don't judge a book by its cover.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is an incredibly talented preformer, and obviously has a firm grasp of body mechanics, something lots of martial artists could use more of. But, there was not one movement that "Kata" which I would be fearfull of in a sparring match, or, to an even greater degree, in a real world defense situation. As I said, she is a very talented preformer, and that was fun to watch (I might even have to learn how to do that one twirly-flip thing), but that is not martial arts, that is preformance arts. I am sure that she is also a very good martial artist (and, as pendakarshihan1 said, could probably put any of us to shame in the category of traditional katas), but that video does not show it.

Just my two cents,

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

Maybe it's because i don't compete but to me that looks closer to dancing and some gymnastics than a form?

I fully agree. To me it looked like glorified gymnastics. Like other's said, she's excellent at what she does, but it's not my thing.

As for the other video, I wasn't impressed by her punches, or hand position. Maybe it's too much Uechi training, but if you throw a punch mean it. And any time you leave your body open and exposed, IMHO you should expect to be hurt (badly) by someone who knows what he/she is doing.

Now with all of that said, she can do lots of things that I can't even dream about, and I'm sure she can hold her own.

Um...

Open kata competition isnt MENT to be like traditional kata. I'd be SHOCKED if the stuff someone did in an open kata could be used in a real fight. Frankly, if someone did an open kata like that, they clearly have no idea what an open kata is. It's a totally separate devision from traditional, and to expect it to look like traditional is wrong.

As far as open form competetors being able to do traditional as well...

My instructor has been competing in both for many years (around 10-15). He has excellent basics for traditional, as well as being able to do all the fancy 540s and stuff for open.

I myself have competed once or twice in both of the devisions. I love the feel of a traditonal kata, the sharp powerful basics. But I also love being able to do the more flashy kicks etc. Both have there place, and neither takes away from the other. Both take a lot of precision and control, power and agility.

Sorry for the ranting, but it urks me when I hear people saying "that wont work in a fight" about open form competition.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Um...

Open kata competition isnt MENT to be like traditional kata. I'd be SHOCKED if the stuff someone did in an open kata could be used in a real fight. Frankly, if someone did an open kata like that, they clearly have no idea what an open kata is. It's a totally separate devision from traditional, and to expect it to look like traditional is wrong.

So what's the point? Is it entertainment? Gymnastics? If it's just a form of movement designed to express oneself, such as the other movement arts, then be honest and stop calling it a martial art. It would be like calling a Broadway dancer or Marylou Retton a martial artist--the moves aren't dramatically different. I respect the athletism and skill, but what's the point in demonstrating something you'd never use in a real fight? What would be the purpose of calling it "martial arts"?

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I've seen that one, it's really not that hard to take apart. The gungfu stylists simply weren't used to dealing with a kicker. They had no effective entrance strategy and would be hit fading in, then they'd give up the close range and fade out and be kicked on their way out. If you only watch the punches, the gungfu stylists were more successful than the karateka, they connected more with those and were better able to trap and defend in their range. But short punches aren't as dramatic at an axe or spinning kick, so generally you just see the big sweep of the big white-panted leg headhunting them from angles they weren't accustomed to.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

It would be like calling a Broadway dancer or Marylou Retton a martial artist--the moves aren't dramatically different. I respect the athletism and skill, but what's the point in demonstrating something you'd never use in a real fight? What would be the purpose of calling it "martial arts"?

Respectfully,

Sohan

AMEN Sohan

For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?

Mark 8:36

I've seen that one, it's really not that hard to take apart. The gungfu stylists simply weren't used to dealing with a kicker. They had no effective entrance strategy and would be hit fading in, then they'd give up the close range and fade out and be kicked on their way out. If you only watch the punches, the gungfu stylists were more successful than the karateka, they connected more with those and were better able to trap and defend in their range. But short punches aren't as dramatic at an axe or spinning kick, so generally you just see the big sweep of the big white-panted leg headhunting them from angles they weren't accustomed to.

Well the thing about kyokushin is conditioning your body to take a punch in order to give a punch. Therefore even IF you just look at the Wushu fighter's punches, they didn't really phase any of them at all. Think of it like boxing. They defend and sure enough punches do get through but those punches don't knock you out due to your conditioning. Those Wushu guys have NO power whatsoever behind those punches. It's all form no function. The key to kyokushin kumite is that it is full contact but you cannot punch to the head, you can only kick to the head. That being said most knockouts come from high kicks to the head or punches to the body that crumple the less conditioned fighter.

So your statement about ignoring the kicks and focusing on the punches is a moot point.

Function over Flash any day.

BTW have you ever sparred full contact in capoiera?

For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?

Mark 8:36

I have no doubt that many or even most of the XMA people are good at traditioanl martial arts as well. But to me the gymnastics and flash doesn't have any place in the martial arts. Martial arts were created as a means of self defense. Today it has become more flash then substance because of things like this.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I have an opinion on this, For those people who dislike what she and others like her are doing. While alot of people enjoy real fighting/sparring and prefer a more traditional view of kata, they are still working hard at their own sport. From what you can see she is definately not pursuing a fighting career in MA or looking for self defense. She is a competitor and or that I dont think we should trash her

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!