• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On failing

Fish

I failed my last test in February this year. I was testing for first brown belt (3rd kyu). It was a very constructive experience. The chief instructor explained to my why I had failed (my kicks were not up to scratch), and what I should do to improve in that area (more butt stretches, more snap and power in the kicks). I would rather fail if my technique is not up to it, than pass anyway just because I showed up. The belt isn't what's important, but the ability to perform the techniques properly, and to keep learning.

So now, I'm practising kicks a lot and training them in various ways (endurance, pyramids, ankle weights etc) as well as stretching to improve them. When I do pass my test, I'll know it's worth something because I'll be able to measure it in hours of sweat and pain!

The moral of the story - don't be afraid to fail. It's an opportunity to learn and grow! :karate:

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree, fish. I failed my 1st gup/kyu test the first time around (I had a major brain freeze LOL). And like you, I worked on the areas I needed to, and I improved a lot. I passed with flying colors the second time around. And that test is the one that I'm most proud of. Not because I passed, but the experience in the whole situation, and what I had to do to get there.

So, I know you will pass this time around and be proud. Good luck.

Laurie F

It's much easier to handle victory with grace than it is to handle failure with grace. You are showing great maturity and composure with your results and i'm sure your sensei takes notice of that.

Keep working hard and you'll do well.

For what shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?

Mark 8:36

I like your last sentence. Failure also makes you appreciate success more...and you will see that after your next testing. Keep working hard. :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

The karateka I've always had the most respect for are not the ones who were the most athletic or talented, but the ones who put their fear of failure aside and perservered. With the rise today of quick fix martial arts solutions, persistance has become an underrated virtue in martial arts.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Agreed wholeheartedly. I've failed several tests in my time, and it's always been a good opportunity for self-examination.

CQ

Jason B.

Hendersonville, NC

"I'm not really eccentric... I'm not eccentric unless that means 'crazy', which I am, probably." - Kyoshi Doug Perry

I am glad that you did not look at failing as a negative personal experience. Many would have. I think that you will do quite well the next time you are able to test. Good luck!

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Good show, mister Fish. When I went for nidan, everyone thought that I had it in the bag, and then I failed. Four months later, I passed with flying colors. Although I was absolutely destroyed for a few weeks after I failed, I KNOW that I passed the second time, as to where the first time, if I would have passed, there always would have been that creeping thought in the corner of my mind, always haunting me. The same thing happened to another guy at the dojo (at the same time to, except he was going for shodan-ho). He was just almost there, but not quite. Four months later, he aced the test like no other. And, to top that off, the man that is the head of my style (and who is a multi-time world champion fighter) failed his shodan exam not once, twice, thrice, but all of five times before he passed. So, keep at it, and the sky is the boundry.

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

Good for you on your will to keep going. But one question came to mind. why were you put up for testing if you weren't ready? Or more specifically why weren't you told to improve your kicks before the test?

IMHO, testing should be pretty much a formality. Only in the rare case of a student just totally zoning out, or not taking the test seriously should they fail. In other words as an instructor I only put students up for promotion when I'm almost certain that they will pass.

I failed my last test in February this year. I was testing for first brown belt (3rd kyu). It was a very constructive experience. The chief instructor explained to my why I had failed (my kicks were not up to scratch), and what I should do to improve in that area (more butt stretches, more snap and power in the kicks). I would rather fail if my technique is not up to it, than pass anyway just because I showed up. The belt isn't what's important, but the ability to perform the techniques properly, and to keep learning.

So now, I'm practising kicks a lot and training them in various ways (endurance, pyramids, ankle weights etc) as well as stretching to improve them. When I do pass my test, I'll know it's worth something because I'll be able to measure it in hours of sweat and pain!

The moral of the story - don't be afraid to fail. It's an opportunity to learn and grow! :karate:

As long as you have learned and grown from your experience...it's not really failure. Just another practice. This is an important lesson for you to have learned. I bow to your new understanding.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."