• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you train...do you get into fights often?

Why do you train in martial arts?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you train in martial arts?

• I get into fights often
    • I live/work in a dangerous or threatening environment
    • I am a serious or professional competitor
    • I like the excercise and enjoy the training
    • Not sure

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started training as a 7 year old as I was picked on a little bit, and my self esteem was quite low.

Am back now, loving karate and think my experiences help me to relate to the younger ones who come in with the same issues

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I've been training for 25 years and now only train/teach/instruct for two things, sport/enjoyment and Reality Based Self defence (RBSD).

Since channeling most of my personal training time into RBSD (and having a background of a Door Supervisor (Bouncer) and as a 'Minder') my levels of awareness are tip-top. because if this I can see things before they even happen.

Only last weekend, in a mobile (cell) phone shop, I ushured my kids to one side as I sensed something was about to happen. Sure enough, the guy next to me stole a mobile phone from a shop and then physically assaulted the shop security guard, knocking him unconcious, before escaping.

I administered First Aid before the authorities took over.

I hate quoting from films, but "besto block, no be there", is sooooo on-the-money.

Awareness is the key, but being able to handle yourself, in any given situation, is your personal responsibility, in my opinion.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

Awareness is the key, but being able to handle yourself, in any given situation, is your personal responsibility, in my opinion.

This is so true.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I havent been in a street fight in 10 years. Living in Japan its not exactly a very dangerous society. I think I'm probably the most dangerous guy around my neighbourhood.LOL!

So self defence isnt that big an issue in my training anymore.

But I just love to train and to push my boundaries.

Competition is a big focus for me right now as it provides an intense chalenge, forcing me to overcome my limitations and really discover my potential. But after I retire from competition I'll still keep on training. I'm hooked for life.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

I am a serious competitor. I've qualified top 10 in the ATA world standings in forms before, and might possibly make it again this year in weapons on a limited season (Broke a rib :cry:)

I move up an age group next tournament year, and anticipate making top 10 in forms, weapons and sparring.

All that aside, I love the training, I plan on teaching and owning my own school, and after 19 years, I just can't imagine not having MA in my life.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I havent been in a street fight in 10 years. Living in Japan its not exactly a very dangerous society. I think I'm probably the most dangerous guy around my neighbourhood.LOL!

So self defence isnt that big an issue in my training anymore.

But I just love to train and to push my boundaries.

Competition is a big focus for me right now as it provides an intense chalenge, forcing me to overcome my limitations and really discover my potential. But after I retire from competition I'll still keep on training. I'm hooked for life.

I've always heard that downtown tokyo is pretty tough. I've got a friend in jumamoto who said the same thing. Genki sudo got stabbed there like a year ago, didn't he?

I don't train because I need to...although someday I may need to. I train for the experience of it. I don't practice as hard or as long as I use to but I do practice more often -- as I get older

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I originally started training to learn how to defend myself; I was bullied as a child.

However, I grew to love the training and the exercise, and liked to push myself to improve.

Now, I think about my familiy a lot, and what if, just out of the blue, something did happen? What would I do? Would I be able to protect my family? I think about that a lot.

I love the arts, and will always have one to study, until my dying day.