• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you train...do you get into fights often?

Why do you train in martial arts?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you train in martial arts?

• I get into fights often
    • I live/work in a dangerous or threatening environment
    • I am a serious or professional competitor
    • I like the excercise and enjoy the training
    • Not sure

What originally got me into martial arts was because I got into trouble a lot. I grew up in an urban neighborhood where I was one of about 20 caucasian kids in an 1,800 student school, and a karate school a half mile from where I lived. I got tired of being beat up all the time and got into it, so orignally, it was because I got into fights a lot. Now, it's because it gives me something to be proud of and work on, and helps me to live a better life. Knowing that if the situation arose that you'd have to defend yourself or the ones your love that you'd be able to handle yourself is worth a lot to me.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard that downtown tokyo is pretty tough. I've got a friend in jumamoto who said the same thing. Genki sudo got stabbed there like a year ago, didn't he?

Nah, Its nothing. I've never felt scared to walk anywhere at any time. The most dangerous part is Probably Roppongi where all the foreigners hang out. I occasionally got into fights with drunken navy guys there years ago when I worked in bars. These days I rarely go there.

That incident with Genki was pretty rare. Every once in a while you hear about some guy going phsycho with a knife in a train station. But most of the violent crime is aimed at women and young children.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

my wife and i started to spend more time with our sons.

also, i a have anger management issues so to speak and martial arts training on regular schedule allows me to burn energy and keep in shape.

i wanted to change myself also. i didn't like the person i was becoming. i must say that martial arts is theropudic for me.

doug hilton

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

After almost 30 years, I have never been in any serious or deadly situation.

I train for the exercise and the discipline, and for the ease by which the martial arts comes to me.

:)

Later!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

i must say that martial arts is theropudic for me.

Unlike many other pastimes and hobbies, martial arts teaches and encourages you to confront personal issues rather than help you forget about them and smooth over the cracks. In confronting personal issues, they are dealt with more effectively and efficiently, leading to a better way of life.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

I joined originally as a child and that is the only time I ever got into a fight. Not by my doing, just a couple of bullies. But I joined then because I didn't have anything else better to do and the training hall was walking distance to my house.

I rejoined in my 20's because I wanted to personally better myself. I had remembered how calm and less angry I had been when I was in Martial Arts previously. It has helped me mentally and physically. I did not join to learn to fight out on the streets, but if i am ever attacked, i feel quite prepared to defend myself.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.