• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you train...do you get into fights often?

Why do you train in martial arts?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you train in martial arts?

• I get into fights often
    • I live/work in a dangerous or threatening environment
    • I am a serious or professional competitor
    • I like the excercise and enjoy the training
    • Not sure

On many of the threads there is much posted about the effectiveness or lack of effectiveness of a martial art. Of course I like having the ability to fight and defend myself, but I personally have never gotten into a street fight as an adult and prefer not to. Even if I did get into a fight, I think it's more likely to be a guy at a bar throwing a haymaker or trying to tackle me rather than squaring off against a skilled fighter. I train more to stay in shape and stay focused.

Since my school is in a suburban community, most of my students are here to work out and be challenged, but I don't think they actually get into street fights either.

I'm interested to know how many people train because they actually need to because they fight often or live/work in a dangerous area where they feel threatened, and how many train just because they like the training.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I never even came close to getting in a fight in my life, and I was 7 feet tall, 320 lbs with the quickness of a cat, I'd still practice MA.

I just like it.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I don't truly expect I'll be in a situation where I'll need to fight, but if I do I plan on being perpared. I mainly do it for the conditioning though.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There was a pretty good thread with lots of great responses on this topic already:

http://karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=25451&highlight=rain&sid=22592c0723c148f2b58346be869facff

Enjoy,

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

My 2 main reasons for training are fitness and self defence, plus i enjoy it. Never been in a real fight, but like some others said, if i was ever in a situation where i needed to protect myself i like to know i have the ability.

For fitness mainly, I live in a very safe uni. When I used to live in a dangerous area I didn't train and didn't really think about training. Also I think you become truer to yourself when you're faced with somebody pouding you (or your pads :P). Can't pretend against a shin kick thrown by a guy twice your size! It's a nice break from everyday life.

well I like the workout, its great excersize and it's also fun. But also I work in a dangerous environment (corrections) so it's also good to have some good self defense skills.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

the funny thing is that most people have never been in a serious fight after they reach adulthood. Many will never have one.

I started training because I was six and impressionable - I was watching kung fu theater on tv. Now, 22 years later, I compete, and I work part time in a club bar as a bouncer.