• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you do more then one MA

Hiya,

To those of you that do more then one MA, doesn't it ever get confusing? Like you accidently do a ju-jitsu move during TKD or something?

Thanks in advance

Cya

Hiya :bdaybiggrin:

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good question. I do Shotokan and self defence - fortunately using similar manouvers!

I have been known to slip into the wrong followup movement once or twice, but thats only normally when I am being shown a new one and I try to rush myself. I suppose if you focus properly this shouldn't happen in the first place :wink:

Melanie

---------------

Be nice if I get this right one day...

Hi Haya :grin:

Look at it like this - when you where in high school (or maybe you still are) you studied many subjects at once. The human brain is a very sophisticated device and is more than capable of multi-tasking. At school you didn't suddenly try to add up the words when doing an English comprehension exercise did you? You can watch TV and drink a cup of coffee at the same time - you don't get confused & pour the coffee over the TV (I hope).

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

I do BJJ and kickboxing and it does not get confusing at all.

It actually gives you more ideas and thoughts to work with. BJJ is nothing like kickboxing, BJJ is fighting on the ground, whereas, kickboxing is fighting on your feet. But, I have ideas where I could use BJJ take downs during kickboxing & punches in BJJ and so on.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I have and I have students who do more than one style. As far as basic moves go I have not found a differance. Sure our shotokan kicks are a bit differant than TKD kicks but to each his own IMO. If my kids come back from a TKD class and are throwign beter kicks I don't even think about changing them.

I was doing American TAO (a made up art by one of my senseis who held 3 differant black belts TKD, Tang Soo Do and Hipkido). Anyhow almost all the kata we did were very simular in parts to my Shotokan kata. I did not have troulbe learning thm but because they were so much alike I found myslef doing the other kata in each class a lot at first. However after a few months I was able to completely seperate the 2. I stoped training in Americn TAo after I got out of college in 2000. I have basically scrapped all the kata from that style. I only teach and practice the Shotokan kata. Just way more popular and lots of info out on them.

Now I took a lot of what I teach and use from the American TAO style but not the kata.

Bottom line a front kick is a front kick and a punch is a punch. Each person must adjust to fit their own needs. Do what works for you and forget style.

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-04-19 07:07 ]

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Hey, Hiya.

I did Tang Soo Do in NJ. Then I moved to NY. Now I do TKD. Sometimes I do TSD high block instead of a TKD one (yes they are different ..... chambering is different). Or I'll do a self defense move the way I was taught in TSD during TKD class. But that's only when I'm really tired during class and have a brain fart :lol:

I'm also looking for a different art to complement my TKD training. I think I can handle two arts. As long as the forms are WAY different, because that can get confusing for me to learn two new forms at once lol. But that's just me :smile:

Laurie F