• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

10 year old Black Belts=Bad Judges

CFletch

I have seen this in the past as well. I would have respectfully decliined to compete. One ten year old is one thing and bad enough, but a pair of them is just comical.

First, I would have complained to the organizer and anyone else that would listen

Could you get your entry fee back? If not, why wouldn't you compete? Just accept the fact that you were robbed of your entrance fee and never think of attending an event by that sponser. And make sure that every one you know hears of your experience.

I think it's totally inappropriate for a child to be asked to judge at a competition no matter what the rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I have never seen such a thing -- thankfully.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

honestly,ten is way to young for black belt,and in a competition like that,well of course they are going to be going for their friends, I mean they are ten.

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

Here you need to be 16 before you can test for black belt. You must be a 3rd degree to be a referee and a 5th dan to be a head judge. Just one more reason 10 or 11 is too young to be a black belt.

Theoretically if you started at 5, double graded through your kyu grades you could make black belt by the age of 10 but it has never been done at our club so we don't have an age restriction as such. Kyu gradings are every 4 months and brown and black gradings are every 6 months. In between all this you have to get in 6 pre dan courses before attempting black.

I can never see how a child that age has the commitment or knowledge, let alone the respect of their fellow students, to attain a black belt.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I'm not very knowledgeable in that kind of stuff but I think as well as a test of physical ability something like obtaining a black belt (which to outsiders seems like the highest qualification a martial artist can obtain, and a certificate of strength and maturity) should be done with a vote from the whole dojo, or at least people who already have a black belt. I.e. an exceptional 10yo kid would have to also display maturity and fairness of judgement well beyond his age to get a black belt. If they can do the moves but can't pass morally then they should wait a couple more years - it will also make them a better person in the long run.

When someone applies to take their black belt, the senior Dan grades are advised and a general consensus has to be reached whether or not that person should be allowed to be assesed for black belt. This seems to work for us, noone without commitment would be put forward

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I had a tournament a couple of days ago and signed up for katas, weapons and sparring. For all 3 divisions I had 2 ten or eleven year old black belts as my judge. They had recently got their black belt. Between them was a 2nd Dan Black Belt who was in his thirties. Needless to say I was a little angry. Both kids gave their friend a 9.8 in both divisions. I think kids shouldn't be allowed as judges-no matter their rank.

Find another dojo ! it seems like a waste of time !

never give up !