• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

10 year old Black Belts=Bad Judges

CFletch

I had a tournament a couple of days ago and signed up for katas, weapons and sparring. For all 3 divisions I had 2 ten or eleven year old black belts as my judge. They had recently got their black belt. Between them was a 2nd Dan Black Belt who was in his thirties. In preperation for the tournament I practiced every day for 2 weeks. When I got on the mat to begin my kata the two kids started snickering. I ignored them and did my form. After I was done they showed me my score. The two kids gave me a 9.3 and a 9.4 while the older judge gave me a 9.7. The lowest score you could recieve was a 9.1 and the highest a 9.9. For weapons my score was two 9.4's from the kids and a 9.8 from the older judge. Needless to say I was a little angry. Both kids gave their friend a 9.8 in both divisions. I think kids shouldn't be allowed as judges-no matter their rank.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this the is the first time I have ever heard of kids judging Karate at competition level.

Of course kids (sep 9/10 year olds) shouldn't judge competition Karate. There are no 2 ways about it, they don't have the comprehension of being fair and true.

CFletch, what kind of competition was it? Who ran it? Were there other styles?

Good heavens, that smells like, a, umm, well, something really bad!!!! Seriously though, that is not good. Kids should be allowed to judge only if they can cary themselves in a mature manner and if they are solid and respectable practicioners of whatever type of martial arts. If I was you, I would talk (in a kind, respectful, and dignified manner) to the organizer of the tournament about what happened, because there is a good chance he/she had no idea that that happened, and, if notified of the problem, he/she would probably not let it happen again. Out of curiosity, what division were you competing in?

David

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

I was competing against fellow brown belts in my division but there were taekwondo practicioners too. The organizer of the tournament is the head of my dojo. I think he was short on judges so he had to pick some young black belts to help.

Wow, that's strange. Eleven is too young to be grading a competition like that.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

That reflects poorly on the school. For Shorin Ryu Karatedo I can speak that the Okinawa Shorin Ryu Karatedo Association does not permit dan ranks under the age of 18.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Was it a club tournament purely for your association or an open tournament? I can't imagine that no-one else has complained.

Obviously as it is a different style I can't really comment on how you judge competitions but I would assume in the same way that gradings are judged that instructors are usually someone you respect and look up to. Any black belt who sniggers and marks favourably towards their friend will never earn anyones respect.

Just picking young kids to make up the numbers as judges seems a little off. Surely one judge you respect is better than the situation you ended up in?

Karate Ni Sentinashi

And how can kids like that get their black belt? I mean in Holland (as far as I know) every dojo I know you have to be at least 14 for your brown belt and 17(?) for a bb. Thats why we have the slip system for the kids. If they do their exam and dont pass it they will get a slip instead of a belt. The kids and their parents will be statisfied then. For the kids its as great as a new color belt.

I have seen this in the past as well. I would have respectfully decliined to compete. One ten year old is one thing and bad enough, but a pair of them is just comical.