• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay Thai Camp--I Need Your Opinions!

OK.

So its always been my dream to study one of my martial arts in the locale from where it originated. #1 on my list would be to train in Thailand at a real Thai boxing camp. If anybody here has done it, or knows much about camps in Thailand, I'd appreciate a comment or two about this one that looks pretty good:

http://www.phuket-muay-thai.com/

They seem to speak English well and the site looks informative and interesting. I have checked out how to get to Phuket and I can get a flight there from Bangkock fairly cheaply. I could train twice a day for a month with nice accomodations for around 500-700 bucks for the month. I would love to do this before I am too ancient and since I'm in the best shape of my life now I think it'd be a great time to take advantage of their cheap currency.

Any thoughts on this? I greatly appreciate it!

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just had a quick look at the website. Looks nice. A typical farang (foreigner)oriented camp. I havent trained on Phuket, But I have trained at the WMC camp in Lamai on Koh Samui which is a similar looking setup.

Also breifly at Keawsumrit gym and Jittys gym in Bankok.

I wrote a review about my experience on the muaythailand.com site. So check it out there is lots of good info on there.

I totally recommend going. 2 things I'm really glad i did:

1, visiting the Shaolin temple and training at a shaolin KF school for 2 weeks.

2, going to Thailand and training in MT.

Both were deffinite highlights in my MA journey.

I hope to go and train in Thailand again next year. Maybe I'll try Phuket out this time.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

I also saw the site for Ben Martin's camp, which looks good as well. I've been reading his thread and I've really gotten fired up about this. Thank goodness I have an understanding wife who tolerates me. But you can't beat the price and I heard from my father who was there in the war that it is incredibly beautiful and the people are wonderful.

Do you have websites for the places you mentioned? If not, I can search for them myself. Do you think a foreigner oriented camp is sufficient or are there other camps that would accept a Yank without using me as a mere punching bag? Thanks very much!

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

You can find reviews and links to a bunch of camps here:

http://muaythailand.com/go2thailand/camps/index.php

Personally I think a farang oriented camp is just fine. Unless you are a serious pro and have alot of time to spend there. I learned tons when I was there at the Lamai camp.

The only down side is that there arent always Thai fighters to watch. The fighters at the keawsamrit gym were just awesome!

But at a regular Thai camp you'll probably just end up getting put on a punching bag for an hour. They wont even bother to spar with you.

At least at the farang camps you'll get personal attention and decent accomodation. Probably learn more too.

An understanding wife is a great asset. I'm blessed with one too! Shes my biggest supporter!

Thats another reason to go for a farang camp. You can take your wife with you. The beaches are great. She can get pampered at health spas and beauty salons while youre training! The people are great, and so is the food , if you like it spicy. Its my favorite holiday destination.

Do it man. You wont regret it.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

That sounds great, drag'n. I definitely want my wife to go with me if possible, maybe even my son. He'll be eight soon and already has decent MT skills. But I'm not a pro fighter who can spend three months there and though it'd be great to train alongside Thai fighters, I know I probably wouldn't get much attention in a regular camp. I just don't want the only fighters in camp to be foreigners like me. I can get that at home with some great coaching here.

I'd been to the link already, but I really appreciate you providing it anyway.

Respectfully,

Sohan

• 5 weeks later...

thats actually the camp i plan on attending for 2 weeks in the middle of june, If i can remember I'll let you know how it is.

"I once thought that life was a mixed bag, now I know it's just a bag of all"