• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei's different hats

lordtariel

From my understanding the Shogo titles roughly mean the following:

Renshi - a sensei who is practiced

Kyoshi - a sensei who is knowledgeable

Hanshi - a sensei who is a good model

The exact grade and timing that these titles will be awarded will vary but I believe that they are very important to signify a sensei's overall ability to teach. If a sensei wishes to be called by this title is up to them as they have earned that right (self appointed titles are obviously a farce).

In our dojo we use these terms a long with the term "Kancho" which essentually means "head of the house".

Also the term Sempai need not be restricted to just senior non-dan grades, it really could be extended to anyone who is senior to you, with any one who is junior to you being your Kohai. In most Karate schools however (ours included) Sempai is reserved to the senior kyu grades and Kohai is seldom used.

Only by contrast can we see

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In our dojo, the term sempai is used for the senior student and no-one else, i.e. if he is not there, it is not used for the next most senior. He is currently at nidan.

We refer to our instructor as Sensei, and he refers to his instructor also as Sensei.

Herein lies the problem. Unless you live in Japan and have a strong understanding of their culture...the titles used are quite supurfluous and are too often taken out of context.

For example: many have sited the use of Sempai as the senior student. However, there can be many different sempai in a dojo. The sempai will always have a kohai. Without one, there is not the other. I found a website that outlines it rather well.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/aikiinfo/sempaikohai.html

My point is that it is misunderstandings and misuse of these terms that has caused the confusion that exists today. This is why I usually sugest the use of the word Sensei, or to just use the language that is native to you.

Thanks.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

My point is that it is misunderstandings and misuse of these terms that has caused the confusion that exists today. This is why I usually sugest the use of the word Sensei, or to just use the language that is native to you.

Thanks.

I agree. I think terms are thrown around much too often by people who don't understand the actual meanings.

I agree. I think terms are thrown around much too often by people who don't understand the actual meanings.

Unfortunately this is often the case but I don't see this a reason to not use the terms at all. It is up to all Karateka to seek out and understand the native language of the art they are learning (at least at a basic level) as this is part of the tradition and origan of these arts. If you do not understand what these titles mean it is part of ones training to find out for oneself.

I understand your point Nothings Shadow, but a basic understanding of the terms is not enough. In fact, having only a basic understanding is what has led to the confusion. Afterall, a basic understanding of the word Sensei leads most to believe it just means teacher. That would be inaccurate. Japanese language is so ingrained into Japanese culture that the two have become inseperable.

Tradition has nothing to do with it. The Japanese speak their native language. They did that because it's how they talk. There is nothing wrong with using English, Spanish, or any other language. The reason many have chosen to learn to the Japanese terms is for when they visit Japan (or the country of their art's orgin) they know what's being said and what's going on. This is called "freezing the language of the art." Not unlike all Chemists in the world follow the same system of naming chemical compounds (IUPAC). Speaking the native language of the art is no more traditional than wearing a gi. JMHO.

Thanks.

PS1

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

ps1, I understand and agree with what you are saying, I don't think that you need to speak Japanese in order to successfully learn martial arts (or that doing so is any less traditional). That said if you do wish to use the Japanese terminology (this is what I meant by "Seek out the native language", there is no need to do so if you don't use it in your dojo) it is important to understand it (our idea of what a basic understanding is may differ some what).

As I said a few posts above I know there are some issues with the use of Japanese even within our dojo that has stemmed from many years of misunderstanding (e.g the use of sempai and kohai and even the use of sensei).

Just for the record Isshinryu_heart, in our dojo any dan grade is regarded as a sensei (it takes about 7-8 years to get shodan in our dojo with 5 kyu grades in between). In the years I have been involved at our dojo I have seen about 14 people promoted to shodan only 6 of those still actively train (not including Kancho our head sensei).

Also ...

Japanese language is so ingrained into Japanese culture that the two have become inseperable.

I completely agree with this, and I think you have really hit the nail on the head with regard to the problems western dojo's face when using Japanese terminology.