• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sensei's different hats

lordtariel

Going through some of these articles I've noticed all kinds of different terms for instructors. For example, my sensei is also a hanshi. I've also seen shidoin. What term is appropriate when? How many other terms are out there?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are many different terms. The three you use actually refer to completely different things.

Sensei: teacher, one who came before, pointer of the way

Shido-in is a level of classical instructor certification that is seperate from rank level. For example, a person can be a 7th degree black belt but not have earned shido-in. It's fairly rare to see this.

Hanshi: This is an honorary term. It is usually bestowed upon someone who has contributed significantly to the art. It should never be used to describe ones self.

You'll also see terms like renshi, shihan, kyoshi...in many cases they are just fancy titles. Sensei is the acceptable title to refer to any instructor of any rank. It is a title of great honor.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

God.

:D

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

In Cuong Nhu we only use several titles.

We start with

Sempai - assistant intructor

Sensei- intructor

Master-5th dan and above... I think

Grand Master-Head of Style

O'Sensei-founder of the style

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

It really depends on the person standing out the front calling moves. If they want you to call them Sensei, call them Sensei. If they want you to call them Bob, then call them Bob. If they don't care what you call them, call them whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Myself, I would rather people call me my birth name when I am teaching. The reason for that is I am not Japanese. I will call ONLY my instructor Sensei, I will not call anyone else Sensei.

Seems like just about the time that I get to know all of the titles commonly used in my style, someone new gets promoted to some rank and decides they need to be called something else.

In shorin-ryu,

Sempai = Senior student under black belt in a class

Sensei = any Yudansha

Shihan = Licensed Instructor

Renshi = 5th and 6th Dan

Kyoshi = 7th and 8th Dan

Hanshi = 9th and 10th Dan

The last three are honorary titles. Some instructors prefer to be called by their honorary title, and some prefer simply "sensei." For example, Pat Haley, a 7th Dan in Chico, CA, is always called Kyoshi by his students. Doug Perry, an 8th Dan in NC, is called Sensei by his students. I don't really see a problem with instructors preferring their honorary titles, so long as they earned them properly.

CQ

Jason B.

Hendersonville, NC

"I'm not really eccentric... I'm not eccentric unless that means 'crazy', which I am, probably." - Kyoshi Doug Perry

We do use the terms, sensei, renshi, shihan, kyoshi. I like the fact that we address our instructor by Shihan, it makes it alot easier in the dojo. When someone yells sensei, several people turn to look. When they yell Shihan, we know exactly who they want. :D

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

You'll also see terms like renshi, shihan, kyoshi...in many cases they are just fancy titles.

pendakarshihan1, I thought that it was ironic you posted this, considering your screen-name... :P :D :wink:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

ouch...that one hurt... I wondered how long before someone pointed that out.

When I came up with my screen name, I combined the title of master from both Chuan Fa and Shotokan. The two titles represent my goal... to achieve mastery. I didn't achieve it today...perhaps tomorrow. If not tomorrow...there's always the next day. I suppose I'll always be one day away from mastery.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."